Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Storm Prep

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You guys in Toldeo may be in for a ride. Look at the radar in Chicago around 5PM tonight. If those storms keep building and the way the current wind streams are working, those storms will hit parts of or nearly all of Ohio spare the Cincy area.

I'm no meteorologist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once. lmao Seriously though, I pay close attention to weather patterns all year. I check weather for Indianapolis during deer season to see how the weather will be in 48-96 hours. You'd be surprised how helpful that can be. All the indicators point to there being some serious storm activity that will effect someone on TOO in the next 24-48 hours. Never hurts to be ready.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I got pummeled last year, and I believe my house has a bullseye on it again. I still dont have a generator but I can get one from work if nobody beats me to it. I have gas and enough water. Just Praying for everyone's safety

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I actually got a notice from my power company and part of it said:

Part of this area could be hit by an intense thunderstorm complex, known as a derecho. This particular pattern of thunderstorms has the potential to bring large complexes of thunderstorms spanning a 1,000-mile swath.These complexes often bring incidents of 60-mph wind gusts, frequent lightning strikes and flash flooding on a local to regional basis. The pattern can also bring a handful of incidents of tornadoes and large hail."

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You guys in Toldeo may be in for a ride. Look at the radar in Chicago around 5PM tonight. If those storms keep building and the way the current wind streams are working, those storms will hit parts of or nearly all of Ohio spare the Cincy area.

I'm no meteorologist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once. lmao Seriously though, I pay close attention to weather patterns all year. I check weather for Indianapolis during deer season to see how the weather will be in 48-96 hours. You'd be surprised how helpful that can be. All the indicators point to there being some serious storm activity that will effect someone on TOO in the next 24-48 hours. Never hurts to be ready.

yay, I'll be at work and monitoring these systems from my iphone though. Hope everyone gets through this with little to no problems! Goodluck yall!

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
What is with calling this a "derecho" I pay pretty close attention to weather and I don't think I ever heard the term before. From what i see on radar it's just a spring rain that may or may not become a thunder storm. I'm inclined to believe this is one of those weather events that the news has blown out of proportion.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I mowed my grass

did that yesterday.

been playing roulette, the last few years, and so far, we've been pretty lucky. We didnt lose power for more than an hour last year, about 6 years ago when we had the big ice storms, we were only out for a couple hours...seems like all the big ones have been sparing us. I figure our luck will run out sooner or later.

If it comes, bring it! I hope it blows my roof off so my insurance can put a new one on. But like some others, I bet it wont live up to the hype.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What is with calling this a "derecho" I pay pretty close attention to weather and I don't think I ever heard the term before. From what i see on radar it's just a spring rain that may or may not become a thunder storm. I'm inclined to believe this is one of those weather events that the news has blown out of proportion.

Since I no longer work for a power company. It's been around as a meteorological term since about 1888. It's from a spanish word meaning "Straight". Commonly meteorologists would just say "High straight line winds." Because let's face it "High straight line winds" will be better understood by your viewing audience than saying "Derecho". But in 2010 Ohio, PA, and Wv got slammed by straight line winds and the power companies needed a buzz word that popped. Something with some pizazz. Enter the baum baum baum baum "DERECHO!" *gasps*. They needed this super menacing sounding term to explain having millions of customers out of power for extremely unacceptable amounts of time. We didn't screw up. It was a baum baum baum baum "DERECHO!" *gasps*. Saying "It was a Derecho" leaves people feeling like it's a pseudo uncontrollable mega unfortunate happening. And they've never heard that term before so it must be something crazy.. In reality, it was just some really strong straight line winds that exposed to us that our power infrastructure that you pay expensive monthly "Line distribution charges" for is really aging and crappy.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Plenty of gas in the vehicles, they're all full plus I have 50 gallons on the boat as backup lol... Extra bottled water will fill the tub and sinks up before going too bed just in case.... Should be okay.... Lots of canned goods oh and picked up an emergency 12 pack of blue....

Huckleberry Finn

Something with some pizazz. Enter the baum baum baum baum "DERECHO!" *gasps*. They needed this super menacing sounding term to explain having millions of customers out of power for extremely unacceptable amounts of time. We didn't screw up. It was a baum baum baum baum "DERECHO!" *gasps*. Saying "It was a Derecho" leaves people feeling like it's a pseudo uncontrollable mega unfortunate happening. And they've never heard that term before so it must be something crazy.

Something crazy enough to get a $120 million dollar cost recovery!

that exposed to us that our power infrastructure that you pay expensive monthly "Line distribution charges" for is really aging and crappy.
Truly unbelievable that those poles and lines can be 60, 70 years old...just crazy that they have lasted that long. There is no question that the country is a in a world of hurt with the age of our bridges, powerlines, water lines...pipelines...geesh.

--

I'm off to go get some gas. I rotated the clips in my gun last week, so I imagine I'm ready if we get to rioting.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Something crazy enough to get a $120 million dollar cost recovery!

Truly unbelievable that those poles and lines can be 60, 70 years old...just crazy that they have lasted that long. There is no question that the country is a in a world of hurt with the age of our bridges, powerlines, water lines...pipelines...geesh.

--

I'm off to go get some gas. I rotated the clips in my gun last week, so I imagine I'm ready if we get to rioting.

Wait till Beener reads this.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
. But in 2010 Ohio, PA, and Wv got slammed by straight line winds....

In reality, it was just some really strong straight line winds that exposed to us that our power infrastructure that you pay expensive monthly "Line distribution charges" for is really aging and crappy.

Around here Edison had slashed spending in line maintenance, including tree trimming. Top execs got big bonuses for "saving" the shareholders $$. Then we got a couple wind storms and look what happened.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Around here Edison had slashed spending in line maintenance, including tree trimming. Top execs got big bonuses for "saving" the shareholders $$. Then we got a couple wind storms and look what happened.

Power demand has shown huge drops over the past couple years from the economy and power conserving devices. (Energy star, cfl bulbs, etc). The only way to maintain profits is to cut costs. Plus. Why spend money to prevent outages when you can wait until after it happens and ask the PUCO to let you charge everyone for cost recovery. While at the same time charging them "line usage and maintenance" fees on their bill every month. Look at your bill. Energy consumption is a small small part of it. The rest is fees and taxes.

Huckleberry Finn

Hopefully everyone stays save and it's a blown up event. Last I heard they were calling the heavy winds from 70 north to the lake - but flooding in SE Ohio.