Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rage Hypodermic test results - 2013

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Another great review! Thanks for sharing!!!

If Greg wants to share, he has video to show the deflection issue with Rages. Still one of the craziest things I have ever seen in person...

Tiny

Out of curiosity what was the issue with the hypershock. I've only ever seen one deer shot with it and the hole was amazing. It still looked flawed to me though and I never would have trusted it.

The Hypershock has a few problems that have caused many people too many problems and in testing, I was able to substantiate the complaints.
The first complaint is the lack of bloodtrails.
The hypershock has a rear actuator and the blades were forward of that point which meant that the blades opened on the interior of the animal, rather than on the outside. This allows a bullet sized hole on entry as the actuators are very small and very dull.
To complicate the bloodtrail is the size of the head as first introduced (Xbow head not so bad) which kept many arrows from exiting when ribs were crossed or centered. The result for many was a deer that had an arrow remaining inside the deer with no exit and a small entry, plugged by the arrow that made it. I.E.: No/little blood externally.

For the people shooting huge K.E. and/or not crossing ribs, it was no problem since there was an exit.... but for average K.E. set ups, there were plenty of complaints. The second thing with the design is that on hard bone impact, the blades would often jam via the actuator. The actuator would strike before the blades had fully cleared and the resulting leverage stop would sometimes cause the arrow to just fall out due to the fact that all that was in the bone was the center ferrule, blades still encased.

I think I have an old test I can put up here for you, to show what I am saying. Let me look. :)

Edit: I cannot find it :(
Many tests I did were buried and/or put in locked areas of the site due to the fact that they were not true tests but rather discovery exams. I am assuming that this head fit into the description and is no longer showing on the site.

Last edited:

Tiny

If Greg wants to share, he has video to show the deflection issue with Rages. Still one of the craziest things I have ever seen in person...

I for one would love to see that video.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio

I'll have to see if I can dig that video up. Haven't seen it in forever. I just hope it made the transition over to the external hd before my desktop took a crap.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Not a moment I am real proud of, but a lesson learned. Hard quartering shot with a rage just doesn't work. The arrow deflected off a sapling as well just before impact, which didn't help either. Ignore the harsh language, I wasn't real happy with what had happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nK15ESd5cM

Edit:
Not sure why, but I can't get the video to embed, so you will just have to click on the link.