Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Things are getting better.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
We just bought 50 flats (12,500 rounds) of 12 gauge Rios 1 oz #8 for 4H. Had to pay a few bucks (3 I think) more then last year but no trouble getting them.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Can you really not find skeet loads?

Not at any of your typical stores I have visited. Multiple walmarts, duhnams, gander Mtn etc. You can find the 8-9 dollar a box stuff. But none of the 100 round packs that are typically 21-23 bucks.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Not at any of your typical stores I have visited. Multiple walmarts, duhnams, gander Mtn etc. You can find the 8-9 dollar a box stuff. But none of the 100 round packs that are typically 21-23 bucks.
they're usually there at the walmarts around me, but the typical 21-23 is now the typical 26
Gander in Dayton has had a butt ton of the stuff but they're higher, the bastards

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jackalope- I think the answer is somewhere in the middle. I am sure the govt is buying more. Where I think you are underestimating is not guys like us. It is the John Q Public who is completely uninformed. Did I buy some extra? Sure. I bought about 100 extra rounds of 243 and 100 extra 22-250. I wasn't worried about self defense. I was thinking worst case scenario at the time. With 200 rounds in a world of chaos and panic I guarantee you I can feed my family for a good long time. Legal? Not around here. In a time of chaos and panic? I will feed my family and deal with it. Where John Q Public fit in this picture is uninformed panic purchases. Had a buddy in Nashville. A member of his brothers crew bought an AR and 10,000 rounds. Dude had never owned a gun prior. He panicked and grabbed what he could. Do you have any clue how many other people did similar? Me neither. Now that you cant find anymore on the shelves people scarf it up as soon as they see it locally. We read about production and demand loosening up. John Q Public still sees empty shelves and buys it when he sees it. Probably not a clue of the difference between trap loads and slugs. Doesn't care either because in his eyes he has more ammo for his shotgun. Lol

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I cant count how many people I know that made gun purchases in the last 6 months and bought up ammo at ridiculous prices. Not to mention alot of the people working at the sporting goods counters all have buddies who get the first calls when ammo comes in. I know dozens of instances that this is the major reason the stuff has a shelf life of 2 hours.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Dude, it is us. We have purchased SO many firearms and people need to feed them or were scared into believing they won't be able to get ammo.

I am constantly on the search, in shops, Cabelas, Walmart...etc. every morning, even now there are at least 30 people waiting for the doors to open for .22lr

Every place has 9mm, 223, 308 and most other popular calibers now. If not in stock now it is shortly. Walmart is an exception because they haven't changed their pricing...much.

You can walk into Vances or Cabelas any day and buy 223. Just still a little high. Pre 2012 the highest volume for NICS checks was just over a million in a month...we have been pumping out over 3 mill every month in 2012 and 13.

We are the issue. It is a bubble. Manufactures won't spend capital on bubbles that will be over once they are set up and trained to produce. Many are slowly opening up operations.