Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

attractants

huntn2

Hudson, OH
K guys I'm gonna take your guys word, and try it. What the heck I've wasted a lot more money on a lot less.

Definitely not a waste! I look forward to your first report this fall of deer getting downwind, sniffing the air and going about their business at ease. Like others have said, you will be like "holly shit, it ain't a gimmick..."

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Agreed. I have used burn barrels full of leafs many times in the past and the smoke actually attracts the deer.

I'm going to have to try this! It's gotta be better than spending all kinds of cash on earth scent spray. What do you do about scent blocker brand clothes? I spent $200 on a nice waterproof insulated coat (the liner zips on and off) and I can't see smoking it up.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm going to have to try this! It's gotta be better than spending all kinds of cash on earth scent spray. What do you do about scent blocker brand clothes? I spent $200 on a nice waterproof insulated coat (the liner zips on and off) and I can't see smoking it up.

Smoke the shit out of it...lol

This was done last week...hahaha

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just getting them ready for fall bow season. I'll smoke them again before hunting though but it's nice to know I have all my clothes marinating in smoke. Lol

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I use the smoker and no other scents. It has been the only successful thing I have used in the scent realm and won't waste any more money on anything else.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
My hunting clothes are sealed in plastic totes. I'd imagine they still smell like smoke from last season.:smiley_coolpeace:

I can still see the mornings around the picnic tables at deer camp last year. Looked like a scene from a cheech and chong movie with all the smoke coming from everywhere. Out of tents, from the smokers on the tables and benches... We were passing them around like they were a bunch of spliffs.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hahahaha Dante! Yes, there were about 6-8 or more smokers going at one time and smoke was everywhere! Someone should bringing a sign this year that we could put up that says, "smoking lounge", in a designated area. Lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Do you put wood chips in the smoker?

Yep. Hickory chips is what I use. I'll add another vote for EverCalm. I bought my first stick last year and was blown away by the results. The buck I killed was 6.5 years old and the last 50 yards he walked was down the trail I came in on 3 hours earlier. His nose was to the ground the entire time. It sold me for life and the fact I shot him downwind, was time 1,000 the smoker has proven itself...

runhunter

You guys have me sold. I'm ordering one and am going to try it here in NJ. Everything about it screams "logical" and can't see why it wouldn't work...It just makes TOO much sense

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You guys have me sold. I'm ordering one and am going to try it here in NJ. Everything about it screams "logical" and can't see why it wouldn't work...It just makes TOO much sense

You won't be sorry. When I 1st joined TOO about a year ago and seen the post on smoking for scent control. I surely thought it was a cruel joke the guys were playing on new members.
Then I did research on previous posts on the matter and seen it was real.
I'm a walking-talking promoter of smoking for scent control but no one will listen to me. OH well their lose.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i got a smoker last year id have to say it works great i turned my brothers and a few buddys from tennesse on too it. i ran out of wood chips the week they were here. thats all you could smell was smoke in my garage and house from eveyone being around that week.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I was also a skeptic years ago as most people are who first hear of this. All it takes is trying once and you are sold. I went from one of the biggest Scent Blocker fanboys on the web to a smoking advocate in less than a full season. It is truly the single most effective tool/strategy/change I have made in my 12 years of bowhunting.

runhunter

Jesse, I think Scent Lok/Blocker etc is all a gimmic anyway. Does it work?? Who knows. I just know that I've been winded while doing everything right, and haven't been winded when I thought I should be. We all know nothing is fool proof, but if there is something that can better the odds, I'm all for it. I already take every precaution I can prior to entering the woods, so for $30, it's worth a shot.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It's nice to see you guys starting to think about smoking up and chasing deer.

Mason and I went to an OSTA shoot to flip arrows and visit with Hoot a couple of weeks ago. There were campfires burning when we arrived. Mason jumped out of the truck and said, "It smells like someone has a Scent Smoker going"... haha, poor kid, never occurred to him that someone may just be enjoying a fire!