Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Huntin with a muzzy

rooster85

Lake County
I've never hunted with a muzzy but plan on fixing that this year. I'm drawn to Knight Muzzleloaders because from what I've read they're very accurate and they're made in the USA. So, between the Mountaineer and the Disc Extreme who has any pros/cons? Or any ML for that matter. Thanks.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
No experience with the models your looking at, but have the LK 93 and the big horn and am very pleased with both.... Very accurate with no issues with either..... Knight had a great customer service and can't speak for the current owners but haven't heard any negativity about them either.... If they make the same quality muzzleloaders as tony knight did than you shouldn't have any problems....

Good look and keep us posted....

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
To each his own, but I am a Thompson Center fan. I have the Encore in 50 cal. I hear that the Omega is a good one.
I don't know much on the Knights, but with technology today, I am sure you will do just fine with what you get. Good luck in your decision making.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have shot and hunted deer since 1974 with a muzzle loader.
Just about any muzzleloader will do the job. I always hunted with a 50 caliber until couple years ago. Then I got a 45-70 barrel for my TC Encore and had the chamber threaded for a TC chamber plug. It does a great job on deer as I'm just shooting a 45-70 but muzzleloaded.
This year I decided to go smokeless ML route. I bought a Savage 10ML-II 50 caliber smokeless rifle. No nasty cleanup afterwards. As a matter of fact the Savage10ML-II is for sale still new and un-shot. There's a old listing in the For-Sale ads. I also have 50 caliber sabots and 45 caliber plastic tipped bullets to sell also.
I just this week picked up a smokeless converted TC Encore 45-70 barrel. I have 45 caliber sabots and 40 caliber Hornady plastic tipped bullets. It's a very hot 45-70 rifle and totally safe.
After 40 years of blackpowder shooting and cleanup I'm done with it. But don't let this change your mind on going into the muzzleloading shooting game.

Last edited:

rooster85

Lake County
To each his own, but I am a Thompson Center fan. I have the Encore in 50 cal. I hear that the Omega is a good one.
I don't know much on the Knights, but with technology today, I am sure you will do just fine with what you get. Good luck in your decision making.

I've heard great things about the Omega as well and TC for that matter. I'll look into that as well.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Personally I don't care for bolt type inlines. They are harder to prime, often requiring a tool and they tend to be longer then needed. I've never seen any real accuracy advantage to the bolt style actions.

That said Knights are excellent rifles, I just prefer the handling qualities of the Encores.

Huckleberry Finn

Yup. I have a Remington Genesis, which they stopped making, but I believe is a Traditions anyways. It is a good gun and accurate to 150 yards.

That said, I'll own a TC someday and that would be the only brand I'd be looking at for the next one.

Oh - and most importantly - have fun...if you have never hunted with one before, it's awesome. I really enjoy hunting with a smoke pole.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I love my Knight Big Horn but clean up disassembly is a chore compared to the TC Encore I'm told! Love the accuracy and dependability of my BigHorn but the breach plug,trigger assembly and barrel have to be removed to do a thorough cleaning. Just giving you a heads up!

rooster85

Lake County
I appreciate the info guys. I'm very excited to hunt with a muzzy, always wanted to but hadn't yet. I'd like to start out with a ML that has accuracy and ease of use. Looks like the CVA Accura and the TC Encore both fit the bill. As I don't imagine I'll be making shots over 150 yards out here, im thinking the added barrel length on the bolt style ML wont be as necessary. I've been hunting out west so long shots are common, its a different game out here. Thanks again guys.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I'm shooting a cva optima pro and its deadly out too 200. I would suggest staying away from the blued guns, and spend a little more money and go with the stainless or nickle finish jmo have fun with whatever you purchase and good luck Too ya.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Rooster, I'm thinking that you're really going to enjoy picking and using your muzzy. What follows is just my opinion/experience -
I love shooting my muzzleloader at the range and taking it hunting. Muzzy shooting is a cool experience, different than rifle or shotgun....if you really like guns, you'll appreciate and enjoy the extra steps/extra work involved in the operation. If someone is not into a little extra effort and they are impatient, this is not the platform for them. Also, this is not a platform that you shoot one day and clean a week later - if you wanna take care of your gun right, you clean it the same day you shoot it. Even if you've been hunting all day, bag a deer at last light, and go through all the work that entails...that blackpowder gun ain't gonna clean itself...and blackpowder does not wait to be cleaned. Others may disagree with me, but this is what I was taught when I first started shooting, so I clean mine fanatically. Regular smokeless powder is forgiving, but blackpowder (and corrosive ammo, like the milsurp for a MosinNagant) is not forgiving and needs to be cleaned right away. Like Ric said, if the T/C Encore cleans easy, that might be worth the extra money.

If you're looking for economy and just want to "dip your toes in the pool" so to speak, you could get a T/C Impact or a Knight Wolverine (used, I don't think Knight produces them new anymore but the accessories are available). Neither has a very long barrel, and are an extremely easy carry. (I own the Wolverine and it's one of my two favorite guns...really fits me well.) And even though they are the most economical of each companies line of products, they are both capable of taking care of any 150 yard shot here in Ohio.

That being said, you'll most likely be hooked, so making the investment in an Encore up front would save you money in the long run.
But then, if you start with an Impact then buy an Encore, you'll have two guns, which is never a bad thing.:smiley_coolpeace:
So many options...mischeif.gif

Then there are the accessories - each of the manufacturers puts out an accessory kit (a bunch of goodies you'll need to get started) and oftentimes the price of the kit is less than if you bought the items a la carte. Then there's the decision of powder vs pellets. Then there's the decision of which bullet to use. then there is the decision of scope vs open sights. Decisions decisions decisions. Trial and error. Practice practice practice. And safety...O Lord, safety is a biggie....you absolutely have to be more focused when shooting a muzzy.

Just a thought - if you know a shooter who could coach you thru your first time with a muzzy, it would be worth it to get with them.
I don't know where you're located, but I'd bet a buck that there's a TOO member relatively close who'd be willing to get together with you and show you the ropes. If you're in SW OH, I'd go to the range with ya. Bet Ric would too.

PS - This is the reason I own a Knight Rifle - when I decided that I wanted a muzzy I didn't know squat about 'em. Went to my FFL guy and he suggested them exactly for the reasons noted in your first post - USA made and high quality. I went out and handled both the Wolverine and the Impact. Either would have been just fine and both companies have great reputations. The Knight just fit me better. And I've been tickled pink with it. And the price was right. But actually handling the guns is what made my choice.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have an Accura (which you mentioned) along with a Traditions lightning, and a half dozen hawken-style sidelocks. Without question, the Accura is the easiest to load and clean! Some days, the nostalgia of the old style guns makes the effort to clean them worthwhile - most days, the ease of modern guns win!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Yup. I have a Remington Genesis, which they stopped making, but I believe is a Traditions anyways. It is a good gun and accurate to 150 yards.

I have the same gun, and yes it is made by traditions.

When you do decide which one to go with, you might want to consider buying a couple different types of bullet, and primers, as well as some powder and pellets.
Different muzzys like different loads. I think huck uses 125 grain powder and a 250 grain sabot with good results. i have the same gun but like to use 100 grain pellet and a 250 grain power belt.
You will need to spend some time at the range experimenting with different loads and bullets to find the one your gun likes. sounds like a pain, but it is a good excuse to spend some time at the range, which is always a good time.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I just re-read all 14 post and I believe we all said the same thing. Go for it.
Yes the TC Encore is very easy to clean. Just remove 2 forearm screws, knock out the action pin, remove the breachplug with a socket, and stick the breach end of the barrel in hot soapy water and use a cleaning rod with a tight fitting patch and just pull the rod up and down. When done rinse with hot clean water, dry it completely, and while still hot oil it immediately. Been using that method for 40 yrs and never had a rust problem.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Silly me, on my Encore I unscrew the breech plug, run a patch with Hoppes through the bore, a couple dry patches, clean the breech plug with some attention to the flash channel.

That is with Blackhorn 209.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Silly me, on my Encore I unscrew the breech plug, run a patch with Hoppes through the bore, a couple dry patches, clean the breech plug with some attention to the flash channel.

That's basically my method too Sam. Pretty simple and quick operation. I think we all can agree, that most of the Muzzy's on the market are good shooters, but my Encore has put a lot of venison on my table the last 10 years.

rooster85

Lake County
LOTS of good information and advice here gents. Thank you. I'll be home sometime in the next month, as far as we know, so I'll be shopping around handling MLs and picking brains some more. I'll keep yall posted and when I get home and get one picked out I'll post some pics and see about some help from someone on the forum. Thanks gents!!

Lundy

I clean mine Savages once a year whether they need it or not:)

I have two Knights, MK-85's both 50's, a Remington 700 in .45 cal and some side hammer Charles Daley thingy in .45 cal that is 40 years old and bueatiful and 3 savage smokeless MZ's., one 50 and two .45's.

I really enjoy shooting MZ's, all of them, but my smokeless get the most use now, I just don't enjoy cleaning them anymore.

Setup the Remington 700 with Blackhorn for my daughter-in-law this past year and was very impressed with performance and cleanup

Rooster what every you choose I'm sure you will enjoy hunting with it.