Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Granddaddy's Gun

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Have you guys heard the song "Granddaddy's Gun" yet? Rhett Atkins wrote it, but Aaron Lewis and Blake Shelton have covered it. Everytime I hear it, it reminds me of when my dad gave my oldest son, Kody, his Remington 1100 for this past Christmas. My dad has a nice collection of shotguns, but he holds his 20 guage 1100 and 12 guage 1100 near and dear to his heart. He decided to give Kody the 20 guage for Christmas so he could see him use it while out rabbit and pheasant hunting. I had Kody listen to this song and asked him if it reminded him of anything. He said it reminded him of Pap.

The song mentions getting the gun when he turned 13. Kody got his when he was 12. It sure does hit home. Take a listen if you haven't hear it yet.

[video=youtube;25QvD52siPU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25QvD52siPU[/video]

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
Haven't heard it yet but will definitely look it up now, like Jesse said I'm sure it will have special meaning to a lot of us here, I know it will for me, this sounds kind of morbid but the old octagon barrel single shot 12 gauge my granddad shot himself with when he found out he had black lung got handed down to me right before my father passed 5 years ago from cancer and is my most prized gun