Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Passing of a good friend.

Here's an obituary that was posted on The Refuge:

Clifford Robert DeStephens, of Lima, passed away at his on 7/1/1948 and is survived by a brother, Jim, of Gainsville, FL, a sister, Rachelle, of Oakland, CA, and brother Rick of Phoenix, AZ along with 9 nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by father, Bill, mother Mary and brother Tom. He graduated from Shawnee High School, The Ohio State University, and the Ohio Northern School of Law and was a longtime practicing attorney in Allen County. Cliff also served in the Ohio National Guard.

Cliff was a brother and a friend to many. He was an avid hunter and hand loader who never settled for mediocre. He would purchase products and find ways to improve them. His hunting equipment was never safe from his improvements. From a goose call that needed the reed reshaped or a brand new shotgun that needed the forcing cone lengthened, Cliff had his standards, and that's the way he lived his life. He was always willing to share his experience and knowledge both in life and hunting. It didn't matter if you were a stranger or lifelong friend. He was always there with sound advice when needed and would go out of his way to help others. He often impressed people, even those that had differing opinions, with his ability to articulate his position and make his point without being offensive. Cliff was an incredible person and blessed those who were lucky enough to have known him. He will be tremendously missed.

Arrangements are being handled by Chiles Laman Funeral Homes. A memorial service will be held at a later date near Harpster, Ohio at Kildeer Plains-H1 Pond on June 1, 2013. Contact Chris Smith at flipntired@yahoo.com for details. A charity raffle of some of his hunting equipment is being planned with proceeds being donated to The Ohio Waterfowl Association in his name.

The Memorial Committee of the Allen County Bar Association will hold a memorial at 8:30 am on May 31, 2013 in the 4th Floor Probate Courtroom of the Allen County Courthouse.

Personal reflections to be shared with the family and friends may be forwarded to his brother Jim via email at jbdest@yahoo.com. Jim can also assist with any client records retrieval.

Bowhunter57

Last edited:
I met Jim DeStephens (Cliff's brother from Florida) this evening and there are some amazing similarities to Cliff with him. I shared a few moments with Jim, that Cliff and I had together, while hunting over the years and he seemed pleased about his brother's quick wit. I gave him my e-mail and contact number, if he needed any assistance. We exchanged contact numbers with other hunting friends that are in the area, that may be of some assistance, while he's here.

I was very glad that I stopped by, offered my condolences and met him. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57