Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cotty and Old Scout's 2013 Pics

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just had a 130" 10 point in my backyard with a basket 8. Those are the first bucks I've seen back there in a few years. When we first moved in there were bucks everywhere. In fact, I used to film them fighting in the mornings before work.
Ironically, we've been seeing more bucks in the fields where we scout this year than in years past. I wonder if food patterns are different this year?

Regardless, I'm going to put a camera out in the back field and see if I can get this 10 on there. He is another one that would be great for the boys.

Nothing great on the latest pull. One camera just continues to produce doe and a small 6.

The camera with the most activity had mostly the same doe and fawns. However, the 9 point shot up in regard to height in the last two weeks. I'd love to see him step in front of one of the boys.

We noticed at times our mineral sites were taken over by does and fawns and that was when we decided to start another site. Now we have 3 on our property and it seems when the does are on one the bucks end up on another. Might want to keep that in mind if they lay claim to it like that.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just getting caught up on your pics Mike. Jagger needs an arrow this season! He's got a body like bull.

My only hope is that he makes one fatal mistake. We shall see!

That 10 point was out again last night in the field behind my house. I had some buddies over and we were out on the deck listening to tunes and drinking beer. Dave, who some of you met on the bunny hunt, noticed him pop out of the woodline about 200 yards away near where I set a camera up two days ago. I'm going to give it another week. Hopefully he stepped in front of the camera. He sure looked good feeding in the field as we glassed him.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds like time well spent! Listening to tunes and drinking a few beers with buddies and glassing bucks.....I LIKEY:smiley_coolpeace:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Went road scouting with my dad this evening at the Club. Got all the way out to the Outback and heard..."hisssssssss". Yep, punched a hole in my left rear tire. We high tailed it out of there as I kept watching my tire in my side mirror. Made it halfway home before I had to pull off. Mom met us with the compressor and got enough air in it to get to my driveway. I'll deal with that in the morning.

Oh, and didn't even get a chance to glass more than one field. Crappy evening.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Took a walk out back to the camera we have set up near the house. Got that 10 point on camera. Another target for the boys. I don't think he fits my desire. I originally guessed his as 130" when I glassed him. I think I was being generous. Good young buck regardless.

I'm pretty sure it's the same one anyway.

072.jpg073.jpg077.jpg078.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That buck and the 9 point would be great deer for your boys to hunt,kill and mount buddy! Hope they do it this year!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The good news: Semper Fi made one return. However, this was 3 weeks worth of pictures and he was only on once. Holding out hope that he will present the boys with a shot.

1653.jpg1654.jpg1664.jpg

The bad news:
1. Jagger hasn't been seen on camera since July 8th.
2. I have two cameras running on the private property I hunt. One camera on one end, "the Point" and one near the center (the one Jagger was on). Only one buck appeared in 3 weeks and it was Semper Fi.

2 cameras, 3 weeks, over 5,000 pics, 1 buck. My optimism went WAY down all of a sudden. Last year was pretty slow in the camera department. This year has been absolutely awful.

My only hope right now is that the club property, which there is no camera there because of theft concerns, produces sighting via scouting or just good old fashioned hunting-by-instinct in some of my old faithful spots. My dad and I have been scouting and have only caught one glimpse of a possible shooter feeding in the fields. I can't wait for bow season, but I'm not sure I have any prospects to shoot for at this point. Pretty frustrating.

Here's a couple of pics to put a smile on your face.

2573.jpg2576.jpg2598.jpg2839.jpg

Last edited: