Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Good year for rabbits

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm seeing 3-4 rabbits in the front and back yard at a time this spring. Looks like the rabbit population is on the up swing here.

Huckleberry Finn

I love driving down a back dirt road and watching rabbits pop in and out of the tall weeds on the side of the road...

There's only 6 months between us and a Thanksgiving hunt that a coyote can wipe out that population haha

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think lawnmowers do as much harm to the babies as coyotes. I hate to admit it, but I know I have killed more babies with a lawn mower than with a gun or hitting them with my vehicle. Not sure if it is the noise or what, but it seems like they are drawn to the mower. I feel like a turd whenever it happens. Just plain horrible feeling. One time I was mowing and had spotted a single bunny. I was extra cautious. The way the lawn was setup I had to pass it half a dozen times. I carefully avoided it the first five. That last pass I thought I was good to go and the little thing decided to move. Ugh. Poor little thing. I still feel bad and that was 5-6yrs ago.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I remember in the 1950's working for a custom baler outside of Ottawa, OH when mowing wheat straw or hay fields for baling we would cut the legs off 100's of hen pheasants. Still makes me sick to think about it. The rabbits seems a bit smarter.