Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Proposed addition of 2 more gun hunting days..................

Lundy

Very happy with the outcome.

Now if they just would not have originally approved that 2 day MZ in October:)

Huckleberry Finn

All these new regs and the fact that farm land is being sold left and right to build allotments and what not. Theres a 300 acre farm by me that the county used to own but some douche bag bought it for the sole purpose of making an industrial park out of it. I've seen some monster bucks at that farm and they sure as hell won't be around when that happens.

Oh yes they will, you just won't be able to hunt them.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Read a news article today that said the senators were at the first hearing when the council voted unanimously on the regs. Said they had a letter then too. Kind of flushes the whole "my constitutes sent me" thing down the drain. They then went back and got more signatures and sent it to the head of the odnr. And showed up at this hearing as well. Amazing how three of the council members flip flopped so quickly. Again. I wonder how the two farm bureau board members voted.

Bought and paid for.

mrex

*Supporting member*
I say we all hold out for bucks in our areas but go to strouds to fill the freezer during our plethora of gun seasons

I'm not sure what to expect for the early muzzleloader hunt at Strouds this year. We
used to be inundated with flat landers during firearms season but they disappeared
when their deer numbers grew at home. They've since been replaced by non resident /
out of state trophy hunters who come primarily in late October and early November to
bow hunt. My gut feeling is that the pressure won't be all that bad as the NR's and
flat landers will probably not travel for an anterless deer.

An idea I have to make it a little more interesting this year is to organize a
poundage hunt. I did this on my place 10 years ago and we had a blast. The way I did
it back then was pretty simple. I invited 7 guys to hunt with me. We each pony'd up a
Ben Franklin then drew numbers from a hat for 8 stands that I had pre-hung. We did this in
January and the rules were simple, no shed bucks, (punishable by death), any un-recovered deer or button buck was an automatic disqualification. The heaviest aggregate won. I made up a pot of chilli at
my camp and we made a day long event of it. The first Saturday ended
controversy as the "would be" winner pulled a "Joe"...err had a button buck in his
bag along with 2 does. We decided as a group not to pay 2nd and push forward to the next Saturday
and double the bet. In all, 8 guys killed 17 does and 1 bb in 2 days of hunting and one guys walked off with $1,600.

We probably can't pre-hang stands but we could dissect Strouds into sections and draw for them if we have an accurate head count
weeks before the event. I've got several other places within 10 miles of the
park that need thinned out which can be included. I'm thinking we can easily accommodate 20 - 30 hunters
or more if we have a good pre-hunt head count...what do you guys think of the idea?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That sounds like a blast! However, instead of putting my Benjamin in the pot, can I get you to dump 100 bucks worth of corn in front of "Mason's stand" ? :).

Actually, I'd be happy to play along with whatever game we make of it!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I like it! I would make it 50 because I'm sure not everyone could pony up the 100 and I fear it may keep some people away.

Btw. I passed on two other button bucks. I laughed when I shot the first one. Then it just seemed wrong to shoot two more. Btw. Ever get pictures of a young 8 (110) on that cam. He looked like he had a ton of potential in a year or so.

Gordo

Athens County
Im down for that. I also have a couple properties that need a good thinning that are all in the general area.

Im starting to work like a maniac again, so im hoping my buck tag is filled by then. If thats the case, id be all about setting some of u guys up on does to help strengthen the herd in the future.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
whats a "Ben Franklin"? I assume its some form of currency, but I've never seen a bill with him on it.

I'm kidding by the way. $100 is a little steep for me, but I could probably manage $50

Gordo

Athens County
Im down for that. I also have a couple properties that need a good thinning that are all in the general area.

Im starting to work like a maniac again, so im hoping my buck tag is filled by then. If thats the case, id be all about setting some of u guys up on does to help strengthen the herd in the future.

Shoot a button buck though and on top of disqualification you'll personally owe me another benni. lol

Jamie

Ohio
There seems to be some talk of taking only what you need etc. I really think whomever is making the decisions would like to see our herd knocked back to where we can only have a single tag, with only 30% of them being filled. Think about that... we are used to having enough deer around to kill more than one given the desire and effort to do so. Our first season in which it was legal to kill more than one deer was only 25 years ago, and that first year it was only legal to take a second deer in 11 counties. Before then, a person that shot more than one deer was looked down on as a game-hog. Perhaps the goal is a population where we consider ourselves lucky to kill A DEER. Keep in mind also that most people only hunted with a gun years ago and it was common for people to go several years between harvests. Bowhunters that took deer annually were an anomaly. Roger Rotharr became a bowhunting legend having killed about half a dozen nice bucks with archery gear. (Mrex's boys have tagged more good bucks than Roger did to thrust him into icon status). We may be heading for a serious change of perspective if things continue in the direction they appear to be going.

Then again I enjoyed squirrel hunting a lot more back then. I don't think the DOW can lead a charge to severely deplete squirrel populations. :)

that is an astute observation, Brock, and worth pointing out to the folks here that have only been deer hunting for 15 years or less. they started in the midst of the glory days of Ohio deer hunting, which are now, undoubtedly, behind us. nothing lasts forever, fellas.

Squirrels need not worry about DOW policy. they should be concerned about Lefty and his lawless handler. hehehe... :smiley_devil:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
that is an astute observation, Brock, and worth pointing out to the folks here that have only been deer hunting for 15 years or less. they started in the midst of the glory days of Ohio deer hunting, which are now, undoubtedly, behind us. nothing lasts forever, fellas.

Squirrels need not worry about DOW policy. they should be concerned about Lefty and his lawless handler. hehehe... :smiley_devil:

While I agree with these statements, I also disagree. To me it's like saying.

Hey, I know you had a Cadillac, but we're going back to model Ts, shut your whining we used to ride horse and buggy.

How bad something used to suck is not justification for destroying how great it is today.

Jamie

Ohio
I didn't say that it used to suck, you did. surely, I never thought deer hunting sucked and wasn't trying to imply that. I'm saying that deer hunting was better(for me and my hunting buddies) from 1995-2010 than it was from 1980-1995, and better than it is going to be from now until who knows when. it's pretty unrealistic to expect that deer hunting is just going to stay wonderful forever and ever. for me personally, it isn't simply because deer numbers are in decline. actually that is the least of it for me, and doesn't mean it isn't worth doing any longer, but my expectations for hunting with bow and arrow are different today than they were 5 years ago. I've resolved to do other things instead of bowhunt for deer 60-70 days a season. does take a lot of squirrels to make the meat of one small deer, though.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I didn't say that it used to suck, you did. surely, I never thought deer hunting sucked and wasn't trying to imply that. I'm saying that deer hunting was better(for me and my hunting buddies) from 1995-2010 than it was from 1980-1995, and better than it is going to be from now until who knows when. it's pretty unrealistic to expect that deer hunting is just going to stay wonderful forever and ever. for me personally, it isn't simply because deer numbers are in decline. actually that is the least of it for me, and doesn't mean it isn't worth doing any longer, but my expectations for hunting with bow and arrow are different today than they were 5 years ago. I've resolved to do other things instead of bowhunt for deer 60-70 days a season. does take a lot of squirrels to make the meat of one small deer, though.

The word suck is relative. The main point was just because it was worse once, isn't justification to make it worse than that today. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect deer hunting to stay wonderful. It's not difficult, just as the DNR can drastically lower the population, they can also raise it. If they can take it either way, then surely they can maintain it in a wonderful state.

Jamie

Ohio
don't get me wrong, I have plenty of issues with ODNR policy making with respect to deer numbers. I've finally gotten to a place where I stopped fretting about it. mostly because I'm no longer willing to go out of my way to do something about it. kudos to those of you who still entertain the notion that hunters can influence the ODNR. I think I'll just go squirrel hunting. it's way more fun than beating my head against a wall.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
don't get me wrong, I have plenty of issues with ODNR policy making with respect to deer numbers. I've finally gotten to a place where I stopped fretting about it. mostly because I'm no longer willing to go out of my way to do something about it. kudos to those of you who still entertain the notion that hunters can influence the ODNR. I think I'll just go squirrel hunting. it's way more fun than beating my head against a wall.

I don't anymore. After getting a phone call from a lawyer and seeing farm bureau get 30+ state senators behind them when they snapped their fingers. I know what's up.