Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey Yotes

Huckleberry Finn

So who is going to call in a coyote and shoot it this month?

Man, I could not believe the amount of yipping and barking I heard from 5am to daybreak...that'll always raise the hair on the back of your neck...not like howling, but still...pitch dark and the yotes still running for the night always makes me more aware of things that go bump in the night!

It seems like I always call in a yote or two during turkey season, but they are either moving too fast or end up too far away....

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
After the jakes left Sunday morning, me a Brooke were just talkin about what had just happened and I looked in the direction the birds came from and saw ole willey coyote skirting the edge of the field. I called just enough to get his attention but our decoys were laying upended on the ground so he didnt pay much attention to us. My mom killed one 2yrs ago just as it was jumping on our decoys. I get just as big a kick out laying one of those out as I do a bird.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I killed this one a few years ago while turkey hunting. It was a 44lb male, and was in the process of killing a miniture doberman that had been chasing deer. The little dog wiggled free a couple of times, each time getting closer to my position before being caught again. I shot the yote when he dropped the dog for the last time at about 30 yards. That little dog ran passed me faster than I've ever seen a dog run. :)

Interestingly, we hadn't heard a bird that morning. I ran home with the coyote to show Mason before he got on the school bus and returned to the woods after he left. They were gobbling their heads of when I arrived at 9 or so. Didn't kill one, but got close. You never know what will happen in the turkey woods!

Attachments

• 31188_1237335267013_827629_n.jpg
    31188_1237335267013_827629_n.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 222