Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Big Shed

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This buck will be the ultimate challenge to get on the ground IMO. Ron and I tried hunting a deer very similar to this one about 6 years ago and he was very "secretive or reclusive". Our good buddy Stacey and us believe there is a very small percentage of mature deer that fall into this category. We believe these ghosts put survival at the top of their list of priorities and probably do little to no breeding in their lifetime. They just eat enough to survive and lay low in our opinion.

Ron found a 90"+ shed about 6 years ago and a neighbor food the other side not far from where Ron found his in a picked cornfield surrounded by a real thick area known as "ole Virginia" by many old timers over the years. This particular buck was never caught on TC as the area all around this spot gets hunted very hard and cameras are everywhere. We've only heard of one possible sighting of him by a neighborhood bowhunter who discribed a buck he got a glimpse of just one time that resembled the sheds. Ron bought the other shed off the neighbor so he could mount them on a shoulder mount for a keepsake. The other side scored 81" I think which was much smaller than the side Ron found. When examining the sheds they showed no signs of wear,scratches or bark. They looked pristine and even unweathered...very unique!

It is also our opinion that deer like this one and the buck we hunted are as unkillable as they come and probably die of old age. What is odd though, no one seems to ever stumble across one laying dead of old age which makes poaching a possibility. We'll never know what happened to the "shed buck" but it sure was fun sitting in a tree near the area where his sheds were found knowing there was a possibility you might be blessed with at least an encounter with him.

Good luck with your ghost and enjoy the chase!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Here are some pics of the "shed buck". The cape was off a 2.5 to 3.5 year old buck which prolly didn't do him justice. Lol

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This buck will be the ultimate challenge to get on the ground IMO. Ron and I tried hunting a deer very similar to this one about 6 years ago and he was very "secretive or reclusive". Our good buddy Stacey and us believe there is a very small percentage of mature deer that fall into this category. We believe these ghosts put survival at the top of their list of priorities and probably do little to no breeding in their lifetime. They just eat enough to survive and lay low in our opinion.

Ron found a 90"+ shed about 6 years ago and a neighbor food the other side not far from where Ron found his in a picked cornfield surrounded by a real thick area known as "ole Virginia" by many old timers over the years. This particular buck was never caught on TC as the area all around this spot gets hunted very hard and cameras are everywhere. We've only heard of one possible sighting of him by a neighborhood bowhunter who discribed a buck he got a glimpse of just one time that resembled the sheds. Ron bought the other shed off the neighbor so he could mount them on a shoulder mount for a keepsake. The other side scored 81" I think which was much smaller than the side Ron found. When examining the sheds they showed no signs of wear,scratches or bark. They looked pristine and even unweathered...very unique!

It is also our opinion that deer like this one and the buck we hunted are as unkillable as they come and probably die of old age. What is odd though, no one seems to ever stumble across one laying dead of old age which makes poaching a possibility. We'll never know what happened to the "shed buck" but it sure was fun sitting in a tree near the area where his sheds were found knowing there was a possibility you might be blessed with at least an encounter with him.

Good luck with your ghost and enjoy the chase!
Thank's Ric,I will be trying for this buck again this year.I had him at 40 yards last season but he was with a hot doe and never gave me a shot.He is a wonderful deer and it was just nice to see him out in the daylight.When i saw him this summer he was with the split brow buck and another buck around 140 and boy did he look small with those two bucks.They were heading into a big CRP field to bed for the day.So if i am out and the split brow comes by first he will hopefully get my arrow and the big 6x6 will live on.I will just feel fortunate to be able to hunt 2 bucks of this size.Just knowing their are deer like this out there sure makes it easy to sit in a stand all day.I will keep you posted.Ha funny thing as i have been posting a little while now i just figured out after reading your story about your halloween buck who your brother is.Im catching on.LOL. I enjoy reading both of your posts.If you dont want to address me by Boarhead you can call me Brian.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks Brian! Hope you have a great successful season and drop one of your two monsters you're chasing this season. Just remember to take a video camera and another still shot camera or have your smart phone fully charged each and every sit. If you do have an encounter you will cherish the images forever and can replay it anytime you desire. If you are blessed with the kill take many more stills and video of the tracking,celebrating and posing cause you only do it once. A buck of this caliber only comes along once in most of our members hunting areas.

Good luck Brian, we'll all be rooting for you!

Last edited: