Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Turkey Harvests - 2013

mrex

*Supporting member*
I’ve never been very good at field judging turkeys. I tell the people who hunt with me; full fan + long beard = ka’BOOM.

I’ve got a couple hunting buddies who spend a lot of time in the Scioto River bottoms in Ross Co and they actually target and kill specific turkeys every spring. This is one they killed last year…4 beards totaling 28” and 1.5” spurs…what would he score by this system?

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I’ve never been very good at field judging turkeys. I tell the people who hunt with me; full fan + long beard = ka’BOOM.

I’ve got a couple hunting buddies who spend a lot of time in the Scioto River bottoms in Ross Co and they actually target and kill specific turkeys every spring. This is one they killed last year…4 beards totaling 28” and 1.5” spurs…what would he score by this system?

Most of the birds we shoot are specifically targeted from scouting. This jake was shot after i woke up from a nap at 12:30 after not hearing crap all morning. Alex went to look around the curve of a bushogged trail and call a bit and there was a red head looking back over the grass. Lol The three beard bird actually had a full fan except on the very edges. Didn't know he was a jake In the tall grass.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Mike,

The length of each beard would ultimately drive the scoring per our contest, but you are talking somewhere in the 100 to 115 pts range.

mrex

*Supporting member*
Mike,

The length of each beard would ultimately drive the scoring per our contest, but you are talking somewhere in the 100 to 115 pts range.

Just curious...why not spur length as that is a better indicator of age?

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Just curious...why not spur length as that is a better indicator of age?

Both are weighted to reward the hunter as the length increases. Multiple spurs and beards count and are measured. What I meant was just by stating it had 28" of beard doesn't allow me to tell you the exact score it would receive in our scoring method. What I wrote was not intended to come across as only beard length would matter and not the spur lenght. With only 1 spur per leg, I was precise with that component of the score but the beards are a different story because there are 4 of them. If they are all 7" (which I know they are not per the pic) the total beard score wouldn't be as high as if 1 were > 10", 1 > 8", 1> 6" and then the last at 4" This is becasue the 10" and 8" drive the score up more than a 7" beard.

mrex

*Supporting member*
Both are weighted to reward the hunter as the length increases. Multiple spurs and beards count and are measured. What I meant was just by stating it had 28" of beard doesn't allow me to tell you the exact score it would receive in our scoring method. What I wrote was not intended to come across as only beard length would matter and not the spur lenght. With only 1 spur per leg, I was precise with that component of the score but the beards are a different story because there are 4 of them. If they are all 7" (which I know they are not per the pic) the total beard score wouldn't be as high as if 1 were > 10", 1 > 8", 1> 6" and then the last at 4" This is becasue the 10" and 8" drive the score up more than a 7" beard.

Ok...that makes sense.