Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Finelyshedded Turkey 2013 Spring season

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Here are a few Tom pics.

These two toms seem to like each others company.

Lone Tom

Same bird but different shot.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The toms are really lighting it up this morning!!! Not much hen chatter either....at least not yet! I let them know what direction I'm at and had some return gobbles so now I'm just STFU. Lol

Hope today is the day!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang it! It's happened again! I had several toms coming in closer and then all of a sudden I hear this fuggin hen start raising cane and the toms shut up and she sounds further away with each cut. After about 20 minutes of quietness I heard those toms gobble much further away.

She's still chattering as I type and sounds a little closer. Hope she brings them right past me.......I guess. Lol

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Dang it! It's happened again! I had several toms coming in closer and then all of a sudden I hear this fuggin hen start raising cane and the toms shut up and she sounds further away with each cut. After about 20 minutes of quietness I heard those toms gobble much further away.

She's still chattering as I type and sounds a little closer. Hope she brings them right past me.......I guess. Lol
Apparently, she's better looking than your ass! Do you have any decoys out?
Good luck Buddy.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
No decoys out bro! Playing hide and go seek....haha!

Wish I had no dekes out this morning! I called a longbeard in from 200-300 yards out of the woods. He came running/stopping to strut/then running again through the field to about 60-70 yards gobbling all the way. He locked on to my decoys and stood statue still for a couple of minutes then turned around and went back in the woods. I have a feeling that old boy has been fooled/shot at in dekes before.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Wish I had no dekes out this morning! I called a longbeard in from 200-300 yards out of the woods. He came running/stopping to strut/then running again through the field to about 60-70 yards gobbling all the way. He locked on to my decoys and stood statue still for a couple of minutes then turned around and went back in the woods. I have a feeling that old boy has been fooled/shot at in dekes before.

That was my experience last Sunday.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Haven't heard or seen a turkey since 8:45. Been calling a couple times every 30 minutes or so. Nothing drastic but just to let them know a hen is in the area and ready for some action. Lol

Kaiser878

ohio
Ric, I'm not a big fan of decoys. I know a lot of guys use them. But I have been messed up by them more than they have helped me. Almost 3 times more actually. I am also not much for just sitting in one spot and randomly calling. Maybe I'm just impatient.

I took a Buddy out today and had a bird gobble way off. We made our way towards the gobble when I saw 4 tail fans ahead of us. We hunkered down and I did some soft purrs....all 4 toms made their way to 30 yards strutting up a storm..... my buddy smoked the closest one.....
uploadfromtaptalk1367514354649.jpg

Ricer2231

I stopped using decoys for the exact example Marcus stated above. I had way more birds hang up as soon as they spied the decoys as compared to having them come running in like ya see on tv.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ric, I'm not a big fan of decoys. I know a lot of guys use them. But I have been messed up by them more than they have helped me. Almost 3 times more actually. I am also not much for just sitting in one spot and randomly calling. Maybe I'm just impatient.

I took a Buddy out today and had a bird gobble way off. We made our way towards the gobble when I saw 4 tail fans ahead of us. We hunkered down and I did some soft purrs....all 4 toms made their way to 30 yards strutting up a storm..... my buddy smoked the closest one.....
View attachment 13707

First off, congratulations to you and your buddy killing that nice bird! Awesome stuff Zach!

This place I'm hunting has a half a dozen hens or so that roost on or just off it. With my lack of experience in my new love of turkey hunting I almost have to have a Tom fly down into my lap first thing in the morning. These hens don't mess around calling for these toms.

I've got oodles of patients but its been tested more than several occasions this season. Lol

I pulled a card today and finally got a Tom starting to strut. It was at 6:48pm yesterday real close to their roosting area. I got a few deer pics as well. I'll post them up when I get some time.

Congrats to those who scored today!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I stopped using decoys for the exact example Marcus stated above. I had way more birds hang up as soon as they spied the decoys as compared to having them come running in like ya see on tv.

I am done with decoys TOO for now. For that reason and my situation on opening day.

Kaiser878

ohio
If I have a tom and I know he has hens I usually don't call to him first thing. I don't care how good of a caller u are.....u won't pull a tom off hens consistently.... and most of the time they will take him the other way..... this morning we got lucky ...... although I never clucked or yelped....I did purr several times.... which was enough for them to close the distance..... like I said .....we got lucky.... but I'll take it. Haha I wish it happened like that every time

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ric, as well as you've gotten to know your birds, I gotta believe your time is gonna come pretty soon!