Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Finelyshedded Turkey 2013 Spring season

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well I'm very disappointed that I didn't get any strutting vids but I did get one video of the two birds that were. They either just came out of it or hadn't started yet but they sure put on a show at that time. Just sucks that I didn't catch it. Dang!

Here they are:

Here's one good pic of one of them. Nice beard

I think this hen has a small beard. What do you think?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good looking Toms. Keep after them Ric. You are driven as all get out when it comes to your hunting. Wish I had some flexibility in my schedule right now but it isn't in the cards. Not sure when I am going to be back out.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Phil, I just love to hunt and spend as much time in the outdoors. I've got a great property to hunt that holds both deer and turkey and am just trying to take advantage of it while I have it. Lol

I'm still very new to turkey hunting and am learning as I go. I've had my share of success(jake I killed a couple years ago and passed on some since) and close calls with the big birds but even though I haven't got one yet, I'm still enjoying the OUTDOORS AND ALL IT CREATURES. The slew of cardinals flitted around me all morning keeping me company.:smiley_coolpeace:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I did go out again this morning and was set up by 6:15 again. I sat there listening to the 4-5 gobblers within an ear shot of me for about 10 minutes with NO hen chatter at all. The toms sounded like they were across the creek again but within 125 to 150 yards. The hens, no idea at this point.

Pulled out my Primos Power glass and striker and started some light calling and got cut off immediately by a hen within 75 yards of me...da bitch! From there on it was like dueling banjos. Rotflmao

Once she cut me off I cut her off and the toms were going nuts. I actually thought this morning was going to be the day I was going to make it happen. I turned on my video camera and set it on my knee(bad idea) to get a few minutes of audio of me,the hen and the toms. Then my camera slipped off my knee and fell harmlessly and quietly to the soft ground ending that for the time being.

After me and the one hen went back and forth for a solid 30 minutes I heard a couple other softer hen calls further away towards the toms location. The toms shut up around 6:50 which I believe was close to when the pitched but I didn't hear them do it though. I only saw and heard the one hen do her fly down cackle away from me and she was further out than I thought, about 75-80 yards.

I couldn't hunt too long as I needed to get back home to bed cuz Friday nights at work are a killer due to low staffing numbers. I figured if I could hunt till 8 and get lucky and have a gobbler pitch down into my lap it'll be worth the try.

Needless to say the toms were taken away and 8 o'clock came and I left. I swear I heard that hen laughing at me as I slipped outta there! She won again but I'll be back!!! Lol

Ricer2231

I did go out again this morning and was set up by 6:15 again. I sat there listening to the 4-5 gobblers within an ear shot of me for about 10 minutes with NO hen chatter at all. The toms sounded like they were across the creek again but within 125 to 150 yards. The hens, no idea at this point.

Pulled out my Primos Power glass and striker and started some light calling and got cut off immediately by a hen within 75 yards of me...da bitch! From there on it was like dueling banjos. Rotflmao

Once she cut me off I cut her off and the toms were going nuts. I actually thought this morning was going to be the day I was going to make it happen. I turned on my video camera and set it on my knee(bad idea) to get a few minutes of audio of me,the hen and the toms. Then my camera slipped off my knee and fell harmlessly and quietly to the soft ground ending that for the time being.

After me and the one hen went back and forth for a solid 30 minutes I heard a couple other softer hen calls further away towards the toms location. The toms shut up around 6:50 which I believe was close to when the pitched but I didn't hear them do it though. I only saw and heard the one hen do her fly down cackle away from me and she was further out than I thought, about 75-80 yards.

I couldn't hunt too long as I needed to get back home to bed cuz Friday nights at work are a killer due to low staffing numbers. I figured if I could hunt till 8 and get lucky and have a gobbler pitch down into my lap it'll be worth the try.

Needless to say the toms were taken away and 8 o'clock came and I left. I swear I heard that hen laughing at me as I slipped outta there! She won again but I'll be back!!! Lol

Great reading. I'm living my turkey season vicariously through Ric! You keep at it bud. She may have "won" this time but old Tom will catch up with her. After he does she won't look and sound so hot anymore, she will just be another notch in his spur. Then your sweet talking will be all he's hearing when he comes strutting in. Then it's BTDB. Big Tom Down Baby!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks Don! I hope you're right! We're expecting rain on both Sat. and Sun. here in the SW and based on that and spending some time with my family will dictate if I go out this weekend. I have rain gear and still might go out alittle in the mornings but will definitely make it out on Monday from dark till noon. That will be my next best chance of some great hunting.

Congrats to those who scored today and good luck to those who will get out over the weekend.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The weather man messed up again....lol

I awoke to very wet conditions and am currently sitting in a light rain. Been setup since 6:15 and noticed the birds aren't as vocal this morning. I hear a gobbler fire off behind me across the creek again and he sounds at least 200 yards away but not certain. The hens started their banter around 6:30 and are more vocal than the toms.

Heard a gun blast a few minutes ago? They have to be still roosted as dark as it still is?!?

I will be getting alittle wet this morning as the rain is picking up and I see no clearing in sight. According to my radar it shouldn't be doing this. Lol

Good luck y'all!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Had a hen come to within 12 yards of me and I've yet to make one call yet. Just trying to keep my calls dry for now. Three deer are feeding out in front of me at about 150 yards.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Heard a loud gobble down over the steep bank behind me and it sounded like it was on my side of the creek within 75 yards. I did a few yelps from my glass call and got ready. Called that fuggin hen in again! They do not like competition!

Just hanging tight trying to be patient....lol

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks Jesse!

Had a small wabbit come within 5 feet of me. Thought I could move slow enough to get a pic but it saw me and boogied out of here. Lol

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I did have a decent sized Tom come in behind a hen at about 8:30. He gobbled once while she fed towards me but she ended up feeding away from me and he followed. After they were out of sight I yelped and cut a few times hoping that when he's done with her he'll come back around.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'll try Don. All is quiet for now but I've learned so far that they can show up at anytime and you better be ready. I'm staying put till noon unless I score. Some hunters have scored, heard 3 distant shots so far.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks Brock.

Just now snapped this pic. I was setting on the other side of the cherry tree on the right in the foreground but decided to move back off the field another 8 feet where I blend in better with the underbrush.

Just heard another blast. Lots of hunters out today.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I had another great hunt today but again came home empty handed. I'm still being patient and upbeat on my pursuit of a mature bird. I had a Tom in to about 65 yards but the hen he was with took him away....again! Lol

Watched a big fox squirrel tote a whole ear of corn up into a big cherry tree that bent to about 50 degrees about 12 foot up. He gnawed on it till I had to leave at noon and being only 10 yards away he left but left the ear still laying on a flat spot in the tree where he was eating. Lol

Had a small rabbit hop within 5 feet of me as well today. I did have two close encounters with several hens this morning as well.

I swung by my two cams on the way out and founds some nice videos of both toms and bucks sporting new growth. Here are some stills taken off the videos.