Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My Lab training

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Holy friggin rubs...

Not sure what they're called but those shaggy barked tree bushes always look rubbed. I've been fooled by them many times. If you notice the white goes all the way to the ground.

Dang nice dog and he's doing great. After a while try hiding one for a few days and taking him in there. I've been told by lots of guys that their dogs will hunt planted sheds like mad but have trouble finding them in the woods. They guess that the dog is smelling them on the sheds and zoning in on that. Looks like you're of to a dang good star on that pup.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Heck yeah! Good looking pup and it looks like he is getting off to a good start. Nice work!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Part of why I did not do well with shed training was the lack of desire to stay scent free. You should really be using a set of rubber boots or Elimitrax boots to plant the sheds, along with rubber gloves and leave the sheds outside at all times. For me, that was just more work than I wanted after 4 months of doing that during hunting season!

Part of why I did not do well with shed training was the lack of desire to stay scent free. You should really be using a set of rubber boots or Elimitrax boots to plant the sheds, along with rubber gloves and leave the sheds outside at all times. For me, that was just more work than I wanted after 4 months of doing that during hunting season!

We try to keep the sheds we use outdoors as much as possible or at least rinse them before taking them out. As far as using rubber boots, you can't get much better than tossing them 20-30 yards ahead where you don't walk at all. Don't make it a chore as that's the easiest way to stop doing it.

Alphamax10

Kirtland, Ohio
Got a bone sitting in the woods right now. He actually is more trained visually than scent. I'm working hard now on him using his nose. It's tough because he can be such a puppy at times lol. Ill keep you guys updated.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Very cool videos Nick! You've got a nice looking lab TOO BOOT! Looks as though you both are doing great together and he's catching on pretty good. Hope you both find tons of bone together in the future. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

themedic

OHIO
Alpphamax,
Have you been to a Jeremy Moore dog bone seminar? I attended two of them at the Iowa Deer classic last month. He is a very down to earth guy and has a great training system and he is also very good at motivating the everyday person to train a dog. Good luck.....my dog hasnt quite got it yet. But everyday he gets better.

Alphamax10

Kirtland, Ohio
I haven't been to any of them but I have emailed him a few times back and forth for tips. He's a great guy and always responded to every question and gave suggestions. That's why I tell everyone that asks about his system. I couldn't be happier and would love to attend one of his seminars if he comes around the Cleveland area.

themedic

OHIO
I haven't been to any of them but I have emailed him a few times back and forth for tips. He's a great guy and always responded to every question and gave suggestions. That's why I tell everyone that asks about his system. I couldn't be happier and would love to attend one of his seminars if he comes around the Cleveland area.
I just saw on his Facebook page he was doing one in Cleveland....let me see when or where it was

themedic

OHIO
I was wrong but he was at Woodbury. On March 27th Jeremy wrote: Woodbury Outfitters in Coshocton Ohio Saturday for a 10 a.m. shed dog training seminar