Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey hunting looking up

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Turkey hunting is looking up for ole Frank. I just went down to the bottom pasture I removed the cattle out on Tuesday and there was a flock of 27 turkeys.
There was 3 big long beards struting and displaying, 3 Jakes with 1-2" beards with red heads, and the remaining 21 birds I seen no beards. About 1/2 of those looked smaller so were probaly this year hatch. But this sighting was at about 125 yds.
I have called in several nice Toms in this pasture for the grandsons over the years and it's only a 100 yd walk down the hill from the house.
No white spotted turkey in the bunch and of course I didn't have my camera with me. But the camera will be on the person everytime I leave the house.
Frank

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Heck yeah! Most I have ever seen in at once in this area was 12-15 on a couple occasions. Too bad not on properties I have permission to hunt.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've had one flock of 54 within 10 ft of the house window. We get a fall season this year for the 1st time. Luck will have it I will tag out in the Spring. I wish.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Cow shit makes the best turkey bait!

Agreed. Here in Clark we only kill about 12 the 20 turkeys a year. We have them, you just have to know where to look for them. Find the cattle and you'll find the turkey

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Agreed. Here in Clark we only kill about 12 the 20 turkeys a year. We have them, you just have to know where to look for them. Find the cattle and you'll find the turkey

Funny you mention that. Because at times I will go to the pasture and find couple 100 cow paddies turned over. I always expected the turkeys looking for bugs.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
In most cases, cattle have been pastured in the same area most of the winter, so cow pattys are abundant. Bugs have been dormant most of the winter. With the warming weather, the bugs become more prevalent and after a long winter of slim pickings for turkeys, they are ready for some protein!

Eye Spy

Willard, OH
They were not in a cow pasture but I saw 2 long beards, 15 jakes, and 8 hens feeding in a bean stubble field this afternoon when scouting. From what I have seen this spring, last year must have been a good hatch.