Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Muzzleloaders ?

kcd1803

I am on the hunt for an old percussion long gun , would accept and older functioning replica, just nothing too new yah know.

Know of any good stores in Ohio or websites dedicated to this stuff...gun shows have been a bust lately with only a couple trashed ones and the occasional over priced one. It doesn't have to be beautiful, just well cared for.

Also any good advice while shopping, things to look for or NOT to buy no matter what?

Thanks all!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Welcome to the site kcd!

Lots of smoke pole shooters here. Can you give us a little more detail of what you want like caliber an such?

kcd1803

I am pretty sure I'm gonna stick with a .50 caliber , able to be used with black powder subs, prefer one with a patch box, kinda leaning toward KY style vs. Hawken style, but I could be swayed either way especially if there is a reason to choose one over the other or the right one came along.

kcd1803

Cool, thanks! It's not close, but I somehow always manage to make way down there about 1-2 times a year and It's on my radar now. Thanks again!

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
What part of the state are you in? The Log Cabin gunshop in Lodi is probably the best place for traditional MLs.

You can find good used T/C and Lyman rifles in the $2-300 range. I guess I'd warn you to avoid some of the older imports. Some of the newer Traditions seem ok.