Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Verbal vs. Written Permission

Huckleberry Finn

I was reading Wild Ohio the other day (hey, it's free) and noticed this:

wild ohio.jpg

The way that I read it, verbal permission is good enough for ODNR. That's the way I hunt on certain properties - or just have a text saved in my phone.

I've always understood the trespassing law (bigger than hunting) is only a crime if the landowner seeks to file charges. If that's the case, just verbal makes sense; yet ODNR stresses having written permission.

Thoughts?

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Personally I think it is BS that the ODNR says if I want to let you hunt on my place I have to give you permission in writing. The way the law is written if you and I are hunting on my ground together you need my written permission. :smiley_confused_vra

Not saying that having it in writing isn't a good thing, just I don't think I should be told how to grant permission. I'm of the school that a man's word is good enough on minor things like this.

Last edited:

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Personally I think it is BS that the ODNR says if I want to let you hunt on my place I have to give you permission in writing. The way the law is written if you and I are hunting on my ground together you need my written permission. :smiley_confused_vra

Not saying that having it in writing isn't a good thing, just I don't think I should be told how to grant permission. I'm of the school that a man's word is good enough on minor things like this.
I agree, absolutely!

Milo

Tatonka guide.

While i mostly agree. The written permission is a good thing to have. Tbe ohio revised code extends special protections undet the law for landowners and liability issue that could arise and i point that out everytime i ask someone to sign. And remeber there could be less scrupulous family members who would love to pounce on an opportunity to sue.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I'll not disagree that there are many advantages too write permission. The written permission came as a compromise with FB to get Sunday hunting.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I get written permission. I can see some Wardens pushing the fact it states written. Hell I sold a 120K house to a friend on a handshake. His Attorney went crazy when we transferred the deed. I guess Atorneys are that way because I had all the money and the also the deed.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I always have the signed permission slips with me in my wallet... Carry them all year even when pulling camera cards cause you just never know who you cross paths with.... But I agree with sam I'm older and remember just needing the handshake and you were in for seasons too come.... I do miss that as my wallet gets thick sometimes lol....

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I rarely ever get written permission. Every place I hunt I am friends with the landowner. If I was hunting a random place, I would ask for written. Utimately, whats it matter when you do not have any law enforcement anyway!

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I think its a good thing. when new people hunt on our lease, And the farmer sees them on there way in and dont know them he likes to see a permission slip. Signed by me the agent.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
its a good thing for the landowner as well. there is a disclaimer on the slip that releases the owner from liability as well as any special conditions that they would like. some times that is what will actually give the owner the piece of mind to grant permission.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have written for about half the places I hunt. Some the farmers will not sign anything do to miss trust with the State.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I have written for every farm I hunt, even if party hunting with buddies during gun season. With filming and having to have all my ducks in a row in case some knucklehead tries to say I shot deer on his land or trespassed or whatever it may be I try to cover my a$$. Better safe than sorry.... to many shitty jealous people out there that simply want to start rumors. Its a lot easier to shut them down when its all documented and legal! This may not be the case in more rural areas such as far eastern or southern Ohio. Def worth covering your bases, ODNR is trying to set examples!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
The disclaimer in my slip has helped me gain permission after I was told no. Plus a written slip ends all the bull-crap right now!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was reading Wild Ohio the other day (hey, it's free) and noticed this:

View attachment 13219

The way that I read it, verbal permission is good enough for ODNR. That's the way I hunt on certain properties - or just have a text saved in my phone.

I've always understood the trespassing law (bigger than hunting) is only a crime if the landowner seeks to file charges. If that's the case, just verbal makes sense; yet ODNR stresses having written permission.

Thoughts?

That's not the way I read it. To me, the article basically says, "Sure you can hunt without written permission, but you have not protection"... i.e. no protection from getting an ODNR coupon.

I get written permission for pretty much all of the properties that I hunt. In my experience, it seems like if you explain to them what the permission slip is for, and read them EXACTLY what it says, they realize that it's smarter for them to sign it versus not signing it.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I believe you are right JB. I heard once from a guy who was part of 6 guys who got a ticket while hunting WITH the landowner. True or not, I don't know.....just what I was told.

themedic

OHIO
I always get written permission. The landowners usually have questions as first but then are Ok with it once you inform them its the law. But it does make for a uncomfortable situation. A lot of people dont want to sign anything these days. The law is definitely vague on what written permission is.....does a text message suffice?

I always get permission because the neighbor of one of the farmer's land I hunt tries to act like the county cop. We always give our friends who hunt our land with us permission slips. I miss kicking the Columbus deer hunters off our property during gun season. The conversation always goes like this.
Me: Why are you hunting here?
D-bag: I have permission from the land owner.
Me: Yea, what is their name.
D-bag: Oh, I forgot.
Me: Well apparently seeing my face hasn't jogged your memory. So how about you pack up and get lost.
D-bag: ah
Me: Getting going I dont want to see you here again.

Last edited: