Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

red clover

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I got a bunch of red clover for good price.

I am going to do my yard in it, and some trails also, would you all overseed plots with it too?

I mixed in some ladino with it too.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I pretty much always overseed my fall plots with some kind of clover. I've used ladino before but last season I threw down red clover. In the annual cereal grain plots, the oats and rye "protect" the tiny clover plants as they establish their roots. Then in the spring, I hit the leftover oats and rye with a mower and the clover really takes off. It provides a nice warm season food source for the wildlife, and also adds nitrogen to the soil when I till it back under in the fall.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
how did you feel the deer liked the red clover? I have yet to notice the deer eat one ALOT more then another.

I have Red clover on some trails
The trails are along the edge of a bedding area , but get a lot of sun

I have watched the deer chow down on the clover a number of times

John

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
how did you feel the deer liked the red clover? I have yet to notice the deer eat one ALOT more then another.

I haven't really planted enough different types of clover, or even at the same time, to notice whether the deer prefer one variety over the other. Any clover is better than no clover... Just try to do your research and select a variety that best suits the area you're planting.