Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Apple Trees/Pear/Fruit

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I have thrown crows that I have shot down in the hole before I covered them up and it seemed to green the tree up pretty well. Just a thought. Also, most county soil and water office sale bare root seedlings for a cheap price. Better sign up soon cause the deadline is almost here on many of them. Those 25 pines I am going to plant cost me $8.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I bought two trees tnight. Seemed nice, my question is how do you tell if they are dwarf or not?

They were not labled and I dont want to mix them in with my dwarf tree.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
The only leafing trees anywhere right now are the ones inside TSC...:D...but frost damage is not as bad as you make it out to be. While frost can hurt the early leaves it wont bother the entire tree. I have spent the money at quality nurserys only to be severely disappointed. I have plant my cheap chump trees side by side with the nursery trees and there is jo difference...well except when my nursery trees xame down with diseases...every one of them. Soil and planting conditions have more to do with the entire process than where you buy the tree at. I have put over 50 of these chump trees in tbe ground in the past 8 years and they are all doing really well.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I always add root stimulator when planting new trees. I have Ferti-Lome for these new trees I bought.

JPN

coshocton
I have 8 apple trees on order. I'm planning on picking up a few pear and some pine trees. This will be my first attempt at planting trees

Gordo

Athens County
I need to go for it and plant some fruitn trees on my property. It's worth a shot and would be convenient to keep an eye on. Now seems to be the time to do it up

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
How many acres and at what pound per acre of Switchgrass seed did $75 buy you?

The average is supposed to be 5 pounds per acre. I didnt do much research on planting instructions before I bought it and it sounds like a pain in the ass. I think I'm just going to plant some Apache blackberry for food plot cover, plus the deer can eat that to.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Five pounds an acre is plenty, just curious how many pounds $75 bought. If you just have small acreage, it shouldn't be too hard to plant the switch grass. The main thing is to kill any existing sod or vegetation. Other than that it should only be planted no more than 1/8 of an inch deep, so I light disking or raking of the ground followed by broadcasting the seed should do just fine. You def. dont want to plant it too deep. Switchgrass is a deer magnet. There is a lot of hype about food plots, but I think if people new how effective native warm season grasses were at attracting and holding deer people would starting planting a lot more of that instead.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
$75 bought me 5.5 pounds of sunburst switchgrass seed. I have 6.4 acres mostly wooded. What would be a good product to use to kill existing vegetation? I have a half acre spot cleared in the woods for my plot. I bought more than enough knowing that I would not use it all.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I went ahead and bought 10 clumps of switchgrass rhizomes so I don't have to mess with them germinating. May take them longer to spread, but I'm ok with that.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
$75 bought me 5.5 pounds of sunburst switchgrass seed. I have 6.4 acres mostly wooded. What would be a good product to use to kill existing vegetation? I have a half acre spot cleared in the woods for my plot. I bought more than enough knowing that I would not use it all.

A heavy concentration of roundup will take care of almost anything.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A heavy concentration of roundup will take care of almost anything.

If you want to kill everything, I would suggest Crossbow. Just be careful. It will also kill any desirable trees you might want to keep. It will take care of the grasses and woody vegetation.