Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

coon hunting

chrisgotell

how is the coon hunting around Cygnet Ohio?
is it hard to find a places to run a dog?
is there a coon club close by?

Move to the area this summer.

I've hunted coons in the Scoito, Vinton and Hocking county area up until I left Ohio. I don't know of any coon clubs but there are plenty of backwoods types that run dogs. Finding large tracks of land can be hard but not impossible depending on your area. Because of that I hunt with curs. I have never really hunted Northern Ohio.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Coon hunted a bunch in Clark and champaign. You won't have problems finding coon in Ohio. Get close to corn and throw that dog down a fence line. If that dog doesn't strike before you get your light put on or tree within 300 yards of the truck then he's BSn. You can drive down a cornfield along a creek and find one laid up every hundred yards. As for property. Well. You're a coon hunter, you know how it works. Good luck buddy and give em he'll.

Coon hunted a bunch in Clark and champaign. You won't have problems finding coon in Ohio. Get close to corn and throw that dog down a fence line. If that dog doesn't strike before you get your light put on or tree within 300 yards of the truck then he's BSn. You can drive down a cornfield along a creek and find one laid up every hundred yards. As for property. Well. You're a coon hunter, you know how it works. Good luck buddy and give em he'll.

thats for sure. We have no shortage of coons.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Pretty good amount of farm land up around Cygnet. I don't know of any coon clubs but you shouldn't have a shortage of farmers willing to let you kill a bunch of coon. Just gotta knock on doors and ask. I'm sure if your hunting coon they will have no problems giving you the nod lol.

oakswamper

around Toledo
The Cygnet area is mostly farm ground, with a few patch woods (5/10 acre wood lots). If you have a dog that hunts close you will be ok.
But if you have a go yonder dawg you will be doin some drivin ;)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The Cygnet area is mostly farm ground, with a few patch woods (5/10 acre wood lots). If you have a dog that hunts close you will be ok.
But if you have a go yonder dawg you will be doin some drivin ;)

Then there ain't no reason he shouldn't tree in those woods. Should be filthy with them in my experience. If he shoots out of there without treeing zap his butt.

oakswamper

around Toledo
Then there ain't no reason he shouldn't tree in those woods. Should be filthy with them in my experience. If he shoots out of there without treeing zap his butt.

I agree they will be loaded. I had a Grand nite champ that hunted in a straight line, he was great for competiton huntin but sucked as a meat dawg lol