Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shed hunting and arrow head hunting on the radio

themedic

OHIO
Couldnt find a fitting place for this topic so I thought I would try in the Shed Forum.

I'm doing a interview with Dan Armitage of Buckeye Sportsman.net radio Saturday morning 6-7am and talking about shed and arrowhead hunting. Since I plan to talk about it, I thought I would share some of my arrowheads and my 1/2 grooved axe. Here is the link to my blog for the story with pic's:

Arrow Head Hunting

Here is the story and the AXE for those at wish not not visit my blog!

Surface hunting for arrowheads and other Indian artifacts is a hobby I have enjoyed since my early childhood. I spent many spring and summer days walking the agricultural fields near my parents home in Fairfield County, Ohio and obtained quite the collection. With every find, I would anxiously await for my dad to get home from work and show off my discovery. It was a very rewarding hobby and one my whole family shared a passion for.

As I grew older, school and girls took the place of my arrowhead hunting hobby. I still found the occasional arrowhead or flint while outdoors but the act of actually “arrowhead hunting” had became a forgotten addiction.That was until the fall of 2009 when my entire family went on an Alaskan cruise and met a man by the name of Eddie Schneider. Eddie was a antique store owner/dealer from Cleveland, Ohio. It was interesting to travel all those miles to Alaska and meet someone from our “area”. In conversation we learned that Eddie also had a passion for collecting arrowheads. The kicker to Eddie’s story was that he had never actually found an arrowhead! His entire collection had been bought off Craigslist and EBay. Of course, upon hearing this absurdity, my dad, who is one of the nicest individuals that I’ve ever met, invited Eddie down to Lancaster, Ohio to teach him the ropes and lead him to his very first personal surface find.

A few months after meeting Eddie, the winter snow melted from the Ohio landscape and we invited Eddie to join us on a arrowhead hunt. It had been a few years since my dad or I had went ourselves, but It didn’t take too long knock off the rust. We started our day with breakfast then headed out to hit a large agricultural field that had been plowed the previous fall on our farm. This field was in a good area and had produced many years ago. The exposed dirt that had settled with the freeze and thaw of winter made for easy surface hunting. In no time at all we were finding flint chips and arrowheads. I think we ended up finding 3 full heads that day and several broken pieces. Unfortunately, Eddie did not find a arrowhead that day but was soaking in tips we supplied with each of our finds.

The next day, we hunted another field near my home and again found immediate success. Eddie must have learned something from the day prior and was the first to come up with a head. I remember hearing Eddie yell, then looking up to seeing him running across the field to show me his find. His face was filled with pride, probably much like mine showing arrowheads I had found to to my dad as a boy.

Since that spring day in 2010, my passion for arrowhead hunting has burned bright as ever and I have made many solo trips looking for arrowheads. On one outing recently, I found what I consider my personal best find. A half grooved axe, sometimes also called a grooved celt. To this day, finding a arrowhead or artifact is a very rewarding and amazing discovery. Knowing that I am the first person to touch the artifact for some 200-800 years is truly amazing. I ended the 2010 season with 15 full, un-broken arrowheads, my best year ever!

In 2012, I again fell off the wagon (due to the purchase of my farm and work needing done) but still managed to find a few. I have yet to go in 2013 but as shed season winds down, my hobby will change with the season and I am already feeling the fire to hunt some heads. The hunt never ends, please continue to follow along with my pursuits!

Last edited: