Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pond pics

JPN

coshocton
Here are some pics from the pond by my house.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm largely a duck dummy since all we have are mallards and woodies, so forgive me for sounding like an idiot here. But what are the first two ducks?

I think the first is a hooded merganser, but I don't remember them having brown wings. And the second is a bluebill? Don't believe I've ever seen one before?

JPN

coshocton
I'm largely a duck dummy since all we have are mallards and woodies, so forgive me for sounding like an idiot here. But what are the first two ducks?

I think the first is a hooded merganser, but I don't remember them having brown wings. And the second is a bluebill? Don't believe I've ever seen one before?
Yep the first is a hooded merganser, the second is a coot I thought it was a bluebill at first too, and third is a widgeon

We mostly just have mallards and woodies here to but as soon as season goes out all kinds of different ones show up lol

Last edited:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Man I love widgeons. They're just cool looking birds. Woodies are awesome too. There's a lot of birds migrating back north now. In the last 2 weeks I've been seeing tons of divers coming through Central OH. Drove past a pond near Alum loaded with redheads & canvasbacks last week. I'd gladly give a week of hunting ducks in Octobers to have a bonus week in the first or second week of March. That seems to be about the time every year when the birds are coming through here.