Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Getting Permission

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I put this method to the test today when I mailed 4 packets our for waterfowl permission and one for hunting. I sent letters to people 20 minutes from home and one to Honolulu for permission on 123 acres of prime whitetail habitat. I sent some to retirees, one to a LLC in Cleveland, and one to a family trust. I'll update this thread later to show how effective, or ineffective this proves to be. I am also knocking on 2 doors tonight for bow hunting permission. We'll see how the old school method works TOO.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Great thread Man.

I took some time last week and designed a brochure TOO. I really like the layout & including the pictures to help add some personalization to it. My 2013 target property spreadsheet has a few landowners from out of the area as well, so I'll be mailing out a few packets next week.

In the mailing pack I'll include a cover letter identifying the specific property and what I am requesting (deer or geese), a map of the property, the pamphlet, a filled out permission slip, and a self addressed and stamped return envelope. Hopefully there are some good results to report back.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sounds the same as me Sean. Cover letter, map showing the parcel(s) in question, signed slip and a copy for their records, pamphlet, and a self addressed stamped envelope. IMO, something like this should impress more often than not as very few people take this approach.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Any updates on how effective this strategy is?

Just saw this, so my apologies for taking so long to respond. It did not go as smoothly as I had hope. However the people that did respond were very complimentary of my approach. The biggest issue is that people can sit the paperwork aside with all the intentions of calling you and then you fall to the side never to resurface. This approach is not what I would consider the most effective way to gain permission, but it will work. I gained access to a couple places this way and sent paperwork out on this spot today...

rsmith

This is the best thread of how to ask by far! And I hope you don't mine but I am so stealing the pamphlet idea that is so professional! Hopefully it will work for me!

doublej

Very nice!
Really like your approach! Does asking for permission to hunt private property in Ohio generally have a good success rate?
I'm from LA and it ain't happening 99.9% of the time cause if someone owns it, they hunt it or have family that do.

I was just going to stick to finding public areas..but this may be an option to pursue also

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Very nice!
Really like your approach! Does asking for permission to hunt private property in Ohio generally have a good success rate?
I'm from LA and it ain't happening 99.9% of the time cause if someone owns it, they hunt it or have family that do.

I was just going to stick to finding public areas..but this may be an option to pursue also

Most round here won't know LA. You mean Lower Alabama or Louisiana? Depends on how you define "easier" around here. Less hospitality but not hunted as hard, so more likely to find an unhunted place, but also more likely to find a butthole too. Lol. Just keep at it. Most are good people. But you'll also find a mix of city people in the country, liberals, and tree huggers.

doublej

My bad Louisiana..Should figure it isn't too common to ya'll but don't always feel like typing it out haha
We got the Southern Hospitality the South is famous for but it rarely applies to asking someone to hunt their property...And IF they do allow it they'll want a couple hundred dollars most of the time. Lots of good people, but everybody hunts so finding a place to do it is highly competitive.
But thanks for the insight...May give it a shot and if it doesn't look to work out I can try a little bribery haha

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
There's no doubt it's tough to find places that give permission, but they do exist. I'd say that the success rate is maybe around 5% to 10% on average. Plan on getting told "no" more often than not, but don't give up. Eventually you'll catch somebody on the right day, at the right time, and they'll sign your permission slip. Just try to be prepared as possible, carry yourself as politely as possible, and I always like to leave my contact information behind. Good luck!!

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I've recently spent some time taking advice from this thread and I made up a tri folding pamphlet similar to Jesses. Also wrote up a small cover letter and I plan to put in a picture of the parcel I'm asking to hunt and putting it all in the envelope. I'm happy with the way things turned out. As of now I have 17 local (45min or less) land owners that I'm planning on sending it to in the next day or two. Only time will tell if any are a success. But it's def worth a shot. Worst they can do is say no. I will updated if i hear anything back.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Just saw this, so my apologies for taking so long to respond. It did not go as smoothly as I had hope. However the people that did respond were very complimentary of my approach. The biggest issue is that people can sit the paperwork aside with all the intentions of calling you and then you fall to the side never to resurface. This approach is not what I would consider the most effective way to gain permission, but it will work. I gained access to a couple places this way and sent paperwork out on this spot today...

Penrod lake is free to hunt lol:smiley_clap:

Bigcountry40

Honestly just knocking on doors seems to work for me with goose hunting. I have about a 50% success rate

After crops are taken off (late season goose), I bet it becomes even easier to get permission . Some of my buddies literally just drive around see where the geese are and ask permission for fields the next day.

Wmiller07

After crops are taken off (late season goose), I bet it becomes even easier to get permission . Some of my buddies literally just drive around see where the geese are and ask permission for fields the next day.

Yep that's what I do. I'm assuming farmers don't like geese.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Got a new slip signed tonight to access the opposite side of an existing property. It's walking access as there is very little huntable area for deer, but the field has held geese in years past. It's a win-win for me. This year I can cut my walk to the woods in half on a west wind and next year (as long as I build a good relationship) I should be able to goose hunt assuming the field is planed in corn.