Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1023's 2013-2014 Hunting Log

Gordo

Athens County
Thats it. If you feel any pressure on the pad or heal of your hand just push slightly forward with your wrist and it will come off the heal.

I need to have you guys watch me shoot. You guys would pick me apart and it would be beneficial in the long run. Alot of that speaky is over my head.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Talk about a sigh of relief! We got 3.5" of rain at the farm last night and I was certain all 3 plots were done for as one sits side land and the other 2 are next to the creek. Well the creek made it to the edge of both plots and the side land plots drained like a champ.

On another positive note, there were MONSTER tracks in the big plot. No doubt it was a shooter sized buck, now I just need him to step in front of a cam.

The corner pocket plot is a little thin up top, but that was to be expected. It's virgin ground up there and that soil will need more work than I gave it this year.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376432031.652394.jpg

The "runway" plot is looking good. The soil this year is super rich from the radishes last year. This plot should thrive!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376432096.402055.jpg

The big plot should also do just fine. My dad thinks my "fake" tree (left side of the plot halfway down) is hilarious. I fully expect deer to make that an annual scrape. At least I hope so!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376432204.532270.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Looks awesome Jesse! Hope your rewarded for your hard work buddy! Plots look great and I'm sure the deer will benefit from it as well!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
After I finished mowing last night, I got the bow out and shot for a bit. The wife drug hers out of the case for the first time since she killed her first deer with it back on 10/23/11. She took 5 shots and hit the 10 ring every time. To say I was a proud hubby would be an understatement! I also dialed in my 30 yard pin and have 40, 50, and 60 close...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I bought some screw in steps for the first time today in at least 6 years. Tomorrow morning I'm hanging what could end up being the single best stand I'll ever have. It's an adjustment to the one I had last year that provides better shooting opportunities. Last year I had a couple borderline deer right under the stand, which make for tough shots. Also the big weakness was a straight S wind and this love will cure that. I'll be able to hunt here on every in but a due E wind or a NE wind. Inside corner of an overgrown field and at the end of a point coming off an oak flat. Super thick bedding NE of the stand a few hundred yards, with oak trees all over on 3 sides. The tree I'm in won't work with climbing sticks and I don't want to haul all my gear back there, so I'm using screw in steps and a Millennium bracket. I'll snap some pics after I hang it tomorrow. With any luck, I'll finish all my stands this weekend and have nothing left to do but shoot and run cams!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have got to bust your balls Jesse. Correct me if I am wrong here. How many times have you hung "what might be the best stand you have ever hung"? lmao

Sorry for busting your balls. Just seems like I have heard that one a few times. It is all good though. I have had that feeling more than once as well. Hope it works out well for you. Those plots ought to be pretty nice.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well, I've said that about this same general spot in the past. With each adjustment, I believe it gets better and better. And I always have faith I hung a good set until proven otherwise, so I'm sure you'll hear it again. Or I can come up with a new saying...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well, I've said that about this same general spot in the past. With each adjustment, I believe it gets better and better. And I always have faith I hung a good set until proven otherwise, so I'm sure you'll hear it again. Or I can come up with a new saying...

Like I said, just busting on you bub. I have thought the same thing more than once and then realized "That tree over there 40yrds away would be even better!" Part of the game and part of learning each property I suppose. I would be worried if we weren't learning while out there.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sure feels good to be t-minus 6 weeks from the opener and I am done with my stands! Had a bit of a "fugg me" moment Saturday when I went to hang what I thought would be a killer set at my parents. Got up the tree and couldn't see over the brush like I thought I could. Ended up pulling the sticks and moving them back to the same tree they were in last year. That was a great spot, so its not like it was a complete failure.

Checked all my cams and still nothing good to report other than several does with fawns using the farm. I have one decent 2.5 year old 8 at the farm that has all the makings to be a giant, so I hope he'll hang around. I have 10 cams out across 3 properties right now. With a little luck, I'll have at least one shooter to dream about before season arrives. Yesterday we had a gentle soaking rain all day which makes the 3rd time I've gotten a good rain following a full days work in the woods. That alone has been a blessing!

The plan now is to shoot, shoot, shoot. I'm ordering a new blind to set up at the farm and I have to add some new burlap to my buddy stand, but the focus now is getting myself in some sort of shape before the season arrives. I plan to hunt early season waterfowl, enjoy opening weekend of bow, then take most of October off from deer hunting. The farm is off limits other than checking cams from September 30 through October 30. After the season I had last year, I feel next to no pressure for the first time in my career. I have one goal this year and that is to have fun. It should be a great season!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
how is the bow shooting going?

Good. I'm starting to "be at one" with it. If me shooting my Mathews is a 10, I'm shooting the Strother about an 8.5 right now. It took me a few sessions to really get my anchor and peep alignment worked out, then a few more to get my grip squared away. I've been shooting blank bale to get comfortable with the bow and to build my strength back up as my shoulder was TORE up from throwing such much BP this spring. The last two sessions (25 arrows each) I worked on dialing in my 20 and 30 yard pins which went quickly. I'm shooting 3" groups at 30 right now and I can no longer shoot the same dot at 20, so I'm really pretty happy with it. All I know is when that 530 grain arrows hits the target, it sounds like you hit it with a baseball bat!

Diablo54

Outside
Sure feels good to be t-minus 6 weeks from the opener and I am done with my stands! Had a bit of a "fugg me" moment Saturday when I went to hang what I thought would be a killer set at my parents. Got up the tree and couldn't see over the brush like I thought I could. Ended up pulling the sticks and moving them back to the same tree they were in last year. That was a great spot, so its not like it was a complete failure.

Checked all my cams and still nothing good to report other than several does with fawns using the farm. I have one decent 2.5 year old 8 at the farm that has all the makings to be a giant, so I hope he'll hang around. I have 10 cams out across 3 properties right now. With a little luck, I'll have at least one shooter to dream about before season arrives. Yesterday we had a gentle soaking rain all day which makes the 3rd time I've gotten a good rain following a full days work in the woods. That alone has been a blessing!

The plan now is to shoot, shoot, shoot. I'm ordering a new blind to set up at the farm and I have to add some new burlap to my buddy stand, but the focus now is getting myself in some sort of shape before the season arrives. I plan to hunt early season waterfowl, enjoy opening weekend of bow, then take most of October off from deer hunting. The farm is off limits other than checking cams from September 30 through October 30. After the season I had last year, I feel next to no pressure for the first time in my career. I have one goal this year and that is to have fun. It should be a great season!

Those last 2 sentences will make your season.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
2nd what Taylor said. Last year was the first in a long time I went in with that attitude. It was the most enjoyable one in a while.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I had a similar mindset last year, but there was still some lingering anxiety. After finally proving to myself I could get it done on more than just blind luck, it lifted a whole new wait off my back. I'm really looking forward to hunting lose like I did a decade ago.