Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hello all!!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks for the welcome! Quick question for you guys living in Western Ohio. I'm about to relocate for work and with my position I have the ability to live anywhere within my territory. Given this opportunity, what cities should I be looking into. I would prefer to be west of 75 and North of 70. Weigh in and give your opinions. I know there will be some partial to their towns so feel free to let me know. I am heading that way to look at homes the first week of April.

Welcome. That's pretty open area up there for the most point. Mostly good farm land with probaly small woods hunting. But maybe you will get lucky.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I live just south of Lima. Hunting is okay but nothing like some other parts of Ohio. Much like anywhere nowadays, it is getting tougher and tougher to get permission anywhere. Personally, if I were wanting N of 70 and W of 75 I think I would look within 20 minutes of this intersection. Sidney doesn't offer much. Piqua? I am not sure. Doesn't seem like it offers a ton. Tipp City, West Milton, Laura, Greenville and locations in these areas are pretty country in my opinion. It is still farm ground, but the soil is rich, the ground is rolling, and the scenery is nice. There are some rivers running thru the area which are nice as well. In regards to schools, hospitals, retail, etc, I can't help you much. However, they are not far from Dayton, Columbus, or Lima.

Lima is right at about an hour from the I70/I75 interchange.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Greenville is a nice area. Used to run a cross country invitational there every year in high school. 20+ years ago but I think they still run it. They have one hellacious Enduro motorcycle race annually. Call it the Treaty City Enduro. For being rolling ground, they sure know how to find some nasty swamps to swallow your bike whole.

Not much I can offer about Greenville in regards to surrounding towns. I would need to look it up on the map to see how far it is from other nice towns but I always thought it was a nice town in itself.

Celina isn't "terribly" far from there. Not next door, but it is a nice community to be in as well. Couple years ago they were named in the top 10 nicest cities in the US to live.

In the summer you will need to drive up to Celina to the big boat thing they put on. Some sort of race. As you can tell, I am not into boats. I think they do some sail boat thing too. Make sure to hit Eldora Speedway at least once this year as well. They have a couple family fun weekends which are reasonably priced and the dirt track racing is usually pretty dang good. Tony Stewart now owns the place and has dropped some coin on it to make improvements. Even if you aren't into car racing, it is worth going just to experience it once.

webbs

West Milton was some great hunting !! Hunted down there when I was younger my mom grew up down there and I hunted the farm she grew up on up until about 3 years ago because she sold it and wernt to happy... About 70 acres total 30 till and 40 woods that was some of the best hunting I've ever done..