Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

opinions needed

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Hey guys, Ive been on a roll starting threads! I guess Im getting cabin fever haha.

Anyways, around my hunting cabin, we have a few trees out back that are WAY to close to the house. I would like to cut about 50 yards back by about 75 yards wide. This would keep the trees plenty far away from the cabin.

I thought if I did this, brought it a dozer to clear the stumps, I could plant the area for a small plot. What do you all think about having a plot close to a cabin though? During hunting season it is quite there, but the off season we like to enjoy ourselves.

what do you all think?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
They get used to your coming and goings.... Unless you're there 7 days a week I wouldn't worry about it...

Might be used mainly at night
But it should provide food

I live in Ottawa Co
Flat for the most part
But the deer hit my garden 30 yds from my door every year
Had to string electric cattle fence to keep the deer and coon out

John

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Might be used mainly at night
But it should provide food

I live in Ottawa Co
Flat for the most part
But the deer hit my garden 30 yds from my door every year
Had to string electric cattle fence to keep the deer and coon out

John

That would have been an interesting "learning curve" to watch! lol

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I know a guy who did this. And it worked, Deer would come in to the plot during daylight. Problem was he did
it because he was to lazy to walk out in to the woods. He got pissed if you would shut a door to hard. He didnt want anyone spending any time outside making any noise. It made for a realy lame hunting camp. I never went there again.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Food is food man. They will most likely only use it at night, but it never hurts to put more food on their table. If it were me, I'd plant it. You could even plant a strip of something like switch grass for cover between the cabin and main plot TOO...

at1010

*Supporting Member*
thanks for all the input guys! seems like you all have the same thinking as me.

Jesse, I thought about doing the switchgrass also!