Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What deer do and don't eat

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I have a friend that has developed a very effective food plot. He has a small field, maybe 2 acres, with woods on 3 sides. He plants beans around the edge and corn in the middle. He didn't hunt it the first couple of years and still won't shoot a doe out of it. It's a doe magnet so consequently it's a buck magnet.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have a friend that has developed a very effective food plot. He has a small field, maybe 2 acres, with woods on 3 sides. He plants beans around the edge and corn in the middle. He didn't hunt it the first couple of years and still won't shoot a doe out of it. It's a doe magnet so consequently it's a buck magnet.

That's exactly what I want to develope.
Frank

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I should add the foodplot I just described has fields of corn and beans nearby. If that was the only corn and bean in the neighborhood it probably wouldn't last long enough to be effective.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
That's another one of the fun things about deer hunting. There are no absolutes, so you still have to hunt local & get to know your deer. I'm hunting a few spots where I live. With beans, as soon as they start to yellow, the deer lose their taste for them. However, I've had good success with standing beans late into the season. Even in mid November, one of my spots had both standing corn & standing beans. The deer were all over the standing beans and didn't start hammering on the corn until after the beans were cut. Even then they're still out in the cut bean field gobbling up what was left behind.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

This essentially what I am hoping to do at our farm. We have a bottom field in the middle of our property that is surrounded by my sanctuary, 20 acres of thick 6 year old select cut timber, and a ridge top crop field lined with oaks and south facing bedding. I hope to plant a strip of corn 20'x200', a strip of beans 20'x200', and a strip 20'x200' that will be a clover, grain, brassica blend. It may not happen for a year or two, but it will happen...

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This essentially what I am hoping to do at our farm. We have a bottom field in the middle of our property that is surrounded by my sanctuary, 20 acres of thick 6 year old select cut timber, and a ridge top crop field lined with oaks and south facing bedding. I hope to plant a strip of corn 20'x200', a strip of beans 20'x200', and a strip 20'x200' that will be a clover, grain, brassica blend. It may not happen for a year or two, but it will happen...

I love that bottom field. It has all the makings of the perfect spot.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
It may not happen for a year or two, but it will happen...

I'd encourage you to get something planted there soon. Start getting the deer coming there for the food. Does Washington co SWCD rent a no-till drill? If so get it, borrow a 70-80 horse tractor and drill some beans in it. A small strip like that you can spray R-up with a backpack sprayer. It doesn't need to be fancy, or prefect.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
nice to see some fellas putting some time in the field and trying to make things better....some things i have learned doing this for 10+ years..

critical to your success on using food plots is getting a handle on what the deer are eating and when. That means lots of time in the woods in late season and right now. food plots are only good if you use them when they are effective. We are huge supporters of imperial whitetail clover for early spotting work and tonnage in the summer. problem being when season opens we have acorns hitting the ground and deer somewhat or mostly leave the clover to dry up. bucks are dispersing and does are looking for mast... We generally have enough mast to carry the deer well into december an then we rely on soybeans, standing corn and oats. right now is a good period for some kind of greens like winter wheat and brassicas sometimes. This plan was based on whats available in our REGION...remember that word...you need to think outside you property, watch deer movements if possible and plan around then accordingly. the real hard part about all of this is trying to figure out if the deer are eating their natural vegatation or are they choosing to eat out of survival. they will tell you what they are looking for if you watch them in their natural feeding patterns. It takes a lot of time and notes to get a real handle on what they are looking to eat and why they are choosing it. study hard and take good notes and you will begin to see the dietary shift that occurs every year. You can really use it to your advantage if your trying to establish small trees. put enough tonnage out there for them and they will not nibble on your young trees...My favorite is soybeans..they provide food for about 7 months if planted in a large enough capacity to support your herd.

at1010

*Supporting Member*

I have heard a lot of guys just broadcasting beans with corn mixed in. Great results, might be worth trying for a year Jesse!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Personally I think the reason deer eat different things in different places is pure and simple nutrition. If they're lacking a mineral in their diet they crave something. That's the reason deer in one place will not touch beans but two miles away they mow them down. It could be as simple as the nutritional mineral value in the soil there compared to here. That field could simply have different dirt. the same reason they prefer these acorns over those. I've tasted many many acorns trying to find a difference. And while the various species taste different, I can't tell you why they prefer this white oak over the other one. Ive done the same with beans. Why are they always in this field vs that one. I can't taste a difference. So it leads me to believe it must be nutrition or mineral differences.

For instance. Deer don't typically need the same amount of salt in the winter as they do the summer. The reason is green vegetation is very high In potassium. They need the salt to counteract the potassium. They don't need it because they lack it. They need it because of other things they've been eating. If they stopped eating green vegetation (like they are forced to do in the winter) their potassium intake drops and the need for salt decreases. But the deer doesn't know why it needs salt. It doesn't lay in its bed and say. My belly hurts. I need to go visit that salt block. They just do it out of instinct. Craving. We humans without batteries of tests can't diagnose anemia (lack of iron) but we do know anemic people crave foods high in iron. So why do deer eat green brier late in winter? Could be because they need it to counteract something else. Not simply because they lack green brier. Deer are generally stupid and eat whatever is within reach. Bu if they eat too much nature tells them to eat more of another thing to counteract it. Every plant has natural chemical defenses to ward off herbivore browsers. But in one plants chemical defense another plant has a remedy. Deer aren't smart enough to figure this out on a medical level. Shit, we humans don't really understand nutrition.

In short. Deer are simple minded creatures that sleep, eat, and fuck. A natural calling beyond their understanding makes them feel when and how to do each. They aren't calculated Einsteins of the animal world. They're just dumb feral cows that wonder around eating this and that when they crave it.

Just my 02.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think there is a lot of validity in this Joe. Naturally, they might choose one field over another based on safety. However, when there is a huge area which has minimal human traffic and hundreds of acres of the same thing: Why do they always seem to congregate to certain areas of the field? Did the farmer fling extra lime there? Is it a high spot or low spot? Is the soil naturally more fertile there? Who knows. Just seems there are areas in fields which tend to draw them more frequently. Your post is the only thing which seems logical. Probably something about the soil in certain spots of the field.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My heavy duty 6 ft. 3 pt. disk was delivered today and it's a nice one. He hasn't found a cal de packer yet but has a line one. He's looking for a fertilzer spreader also.
I have all the DVD's of the past 7 yrs of Deer and Deer Hunting TV shows. I have to revisit them on food plotting.
Frank

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I did some field walking today. The farmer has old inefficient equipment and it leaves a lot of crop behind. I was surprised to still see it this late. Virtually all that was there after harvest.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361132076023.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361132076023.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 51
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361132086275.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361132086275.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 53

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Anyone ever planted products by Evolved harvest? I can buy most of the seed I want from my sons's Distributor for about 55% off retail. Looks I would only have to order 1 or 2 from the manufactor.
Rurual King and TSC handle the same products. Plus Dicks and ProBass but their prices are about 20% higher.
Thinking of planting couple differant Annuals and couple prennials. Planting about 2.25 acs beside my hunting woods.
I ordered 2 soil testing kits today as the farm hasn't had anything put on it in at least 30-35 yrs.
Frank

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If you can buy it at a great discount that would be good. I am not saying anything good or bad about Evolved Harvest. I will say in general though, as hunters we tend to fall for simple marketing gimmicks like a buck on the bag. The deer don't care once it is growing. As purchasers I think we overpay for the marketing generally.

Plenty of seed reps at the Deer and Turkey Expo in a few weeks. Might be a good place to go and flood your brain with options. Lol

While I feel some of these companies have put in the R and D for deer specific seed blends, I think most of the time it is hocus pocus. You can put the best deer seed in the world out if you want. If there are external factors (no security, kids on atv's racing thru bedding daily, etc) then it wont matter what seed you put down. Food plots are nice but they aren't a guarantee. I still think it is a combination of factors. Just my 2cents.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The Evolved Harvests blends are okay. I've planted a few of their mixes with decent luck. I guess if the price is right, go for it. Personally I like to buy my foodplot seed from Merit Seed. It's in Millersburg, but they'll ship to SW Ohio I'm sure. Definitely get a cultipacker... well worth it.