Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Chestnuts

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Do they eat buckeyes? We have a shit ton on our farm. I know some people call them horse chestnuts, but I've never noticed the deer eating them...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Do they eat buckeyes? We have a shit ton on our farm. I know some people call them horse chestnuts, but I've never noticed the deer eating them...

walnuts....deer eat walnuts according to the the OS gang...

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
walnuts....deer eat walnuts according to the the OS gang...

My front yard is loaded with walnut trees and the deer pass through there to go up the hill to eat. I wish they did eat the walnuts as those things are dangerous when mowing.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
ive got three chesnuts behind the house along with 2 aplle and 2 pear trees always have deer out there most of the time after dark shine a light back under those trees about 11 at night and theres a constant glow of eyes back there, im gonna put a cam on them next season just to see whats coming threw.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Chestnut hulls suck to step on in bare feet. We had one in the neighbor's yard when I was growing up and it overhung the place where our basketball hoop was. They even got stuck in the rubber of the basketball...ugh that hurt too.

Man oh man are they tasty though, I can see why the deer would like them.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
We have been trying to get them growing at Alphamax's parents place. Each time I try and start them at home the squirrels destroy them.