Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Here They Are: 2013-2014 Season Proposals

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A year ago when we were screaming for county by county management instead of zones did you foresee it happening? When we're were screaming for the removal of bonus tags durring gun in zone C did you foresee it happening? When we were screaming for a reduction in antleeless tags even though we knew it made little impact on overall harvest did you foresee it happening? Hide and see said the blind man to his deaf wife. Hide and see.

Maybe so. Time will tell.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
WOW!!! That took some time to read through all that!

I have to agree with joe, The change to a county system will, in the long run, be a good thing. The first thing i did, as I'm sure every one else did, was find my county on the list.
Crawford, 3 either sex, 1 antlerless... my first thought, Why is the limit still 4 deer? there arent that many here! Then i thought about it. Most guys wont burn a $24 tag on a doe. So in this case, you can actually shoot one cheap doe, and if you want to shoot another, it'll cost ya. Adjusting the bag limit in the future for just crawford county will be a lot easier than trying to make an adjustment for the entire zone b.

I thjink it sucks we cant legally kill a buck the second weekend of october. But as stated before, its gonna happen anyway.

I am surprised the dnr is going with the early muzzy season from a safety standpoint. The trees are still holding most of their leaves at that time. Doesnt the dnr hunter safety program preach "know your target, and beyond"? If you are hunting field edges and shooting into open areas, ok. But i wouldnt be surprised to hear about guys getting hit by stray bullets because the hunter couldnt see any further than a hundred yards or so.

All in all, thing wont change much for me. I will still buy one of each tag, and do my best to fill those.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
At this point, I'd sleep like a baby. I used to think you had to abide by the rules to feel right about killing a deer. These new rules make no sense... I could sleep. That, I think is the greatest damage done by the DOW... they have lost their lofty perch in my mind.

Everyone to their own. I'm just saying in my mind it wouldn't be a throphy to me but just a illegal piece of meat.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
WOW!!! That took some time to read through all that!

I have to agree with joe, The change to a county system will, in the long run, be a good thing. The first thing i did, as I'm sure every one else did, was find my county on the list.
Crawford, 3 either sex, 1 antlerless... my first thought, Why is the limit still 4 deer? there arent that many here! Then i thought about it. Most guys wont burn a $24 tag on a doe. So in this case, you can actually shoot one cheap doe, and if you want to shoot another, it'll cost ya. Adjusting the bag limit in the future for just crawford county will be a lot easier than trying to make an adjustment for the entire zone b.

I thjink it sucks we cant legally kill a buck the second weekend of october. But as stated before, its gonna happen anyway.

I am surprised the dnr is going with the early muzzy season from a safety standpoint. The trees are still holding most of their leaves at that time. Doesnt the dnr hunter safety program preach "know your target, and beyond"? If you are hunting field edges and shooting into open areas, ok. But i wouldnt be surprised to hear about guys getting hit by stray bullets because the hunter couldnt see any further than a hundred yards or so.

All in all, thing wont change much for me. I will still buy one of each tag, and do my best to fill those.

Thats a good point dante..the cover will make it difficult as will the corn and beans still on dealing with a deer and getting to the woods

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thats a good point dante..the cover will make it difficult as will the corn and beans still on dealing with a deer and getting to the woods

True. Between the crops and foliage the effective range of a muzzy will be drastically diminished as opposed to durring bonus gun.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
I don't see much good there for Butler County except we will finally get a fall turkey season.
I don't like the early ML doe season tho.
I couldn't and wouldn't shoot that 180 buck as I would know I did it and I have to sleep at night.
Frank

Tylenol PM helps.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Everyone to their own. I'm just saying in my mind it wouldn't be a throphy to me but just a illegal piece of meat.

You are not alone Frank. Whether I agree with the rules or not, I will follow them. I will not justify it to myself. Not judging anyone. Just saying MK111 is not alone.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I think the new early muzzy season is a good idea. We will get to use our kings island passes a weekend in october now...

As far as the rest of the new proposals I think its a good start. The day it goes back to a one deer limit I'll be happy...

Gordo

Athens County
I dont think changing the limits really changes shit. Thats just my perspective.

As for the poachers, none of this matters, as usual, and it NEVER will.

As for the smoke poles coming out in october... Maybe some mature deer will be pressured onto my properties just in time for the rut???

The one thing i do know is the same people that killed deer this year will be killing deer next year. Whether they are doing it legally, illegally, muzzle loader, xbow, shot gun, spot light, etc...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
The DOW changing to a county by county management plan will be a step in the right direction IF.... and that is a huge IF.... they actually monitor the counties and make changes where needed, and not just say "hey we have a county by county management plan" but still lump us into a few large "zones". Time will tell on that one.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Now you guys can hold a Stroud's muzzleloader hunt, and keep pressure off of your own properties.

HA! Pretty sure that ball is off and rolling!!! A little birdie told me the group camp area was ours... :smiley_clap:

And I'm with Brock on the whole dead 180 in my truck and sleeping fine at night. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em right?!?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
HA! Pretty sure that ball is off and rolling!!! A little birdie told me the group camp area was ours... :smiley_clap:

And I'm with Brock on the whole dead 180 in my truck and sleeping fine at night. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em right?!?

Yep.. The group camping area on Strouds is already reserved for the 12-13 next October. ..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The DOW changing to a county by county management plan will be a step in the right direction IF.... and that is a huge IF.... they actually monitor the counties and make changes where needed, and not just say "hey we have a county by county management plan" but still lump us into a few large "zones". Time will tell on that one.

One step at a time man.. If you think it's too high in your county start gathering people together, start organizing a voice from your local hunters. organize and take it to the DNR.