Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Here They Are: 2013-2014 Season Proposals

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
They took Hardin from being a 2 either sex 2 antlerless.... to a 3 either..... 1 anterless.... all that tells me is they think we have too many deer in our herd or at least "enough". Still shaking my head on that one.

Phil... what are your thoughts about that for Allen?

I think Jackalope already covered it. Only good thing about it. . . .it will be harder for me to screw up next year and use my early antlerless tags AND 3 either/or tags. I might have a chance at a buck until the end of the season after all. lmao

Jackalope nailed it though: Bottom line is they don't see us as overpopulated and this extends the season for hunters while bringing in more revenue for the ODNR. Personally? I think there are pockets in Allen county where it won't hurt anything. There are more areas which will be hurt by this in my opinion. With Garrett hunting now, I would love to see him tag his first deer next year. Between land owner tags, and youth tags, their increase in either/or tags won't generate any more money from me. As a family we can only eat so much deer. I will harvest what my family can use IF I feel my local areas can sustain it. It might mean I shoot a doe and Garrett shoots one. It might mean I shoot two and he gets none. Just have to figure it out when the season gets here. I will do my darndest to only take two for the family next year. If we get a third it will go to Shawn anyway. His family will make sure it does not go to waste. That is my two cents Drake. My other thought is the increase in hunters I saw this year. There are more guys spreading out into my area. That tells me either: a) there is an increase in hunters locally, or b) they are moving because their areas are depleted.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
No real changes in practical bag limits...it's still what most folks can kill. No REAL reduction. They did reduce Darke I see, which is good as I pointed out previously that they would replace Fayette at the bottom if limits were not soon changed.

An early muzzy/doe only season is insane. Stupidity at it's finest. No good reason for that IMO.

BTW, if I were hunting with a muzzy and a 180 walked by.... I'd shoot it dead. I've lost all faith in the DOW, and am getting to the point of not caring what they suggest. I'll shoot what I know my area can sustain, and if it's a 180 when the DOW says "it's DOE season", so be it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well they will be pickin' apples and I'll be pickin' pumpkins so you guys will have to hunt without us.

Dang, forgot about pumpkin season..... Bring some of the seasonals from the orchard up too help out the Mrs...... :smiley_crocodile:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I don't see much good there for Butler County except we will finally get a fall turkey season.
I don't like the early ML doe season tho.
I couldn't and wouldn't shoot that 180 buck as I would know I did it and I have to sleep at night.
Frank

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That is complete bullshit you can't shoot a buck during early muzzleloader!!!

It's like DOW wants people to break the law...

Rex told Tonk. I told Tonk.. "You are just begging people to break the law".. Their response "We aren't going to regulate based on what a poacher "Might" do.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don't see much good there for Butler County except we will finally get a fall turkey season.
I don't like the early ML doe season tho.
I couldn't and wouldn't shoot that 180 buck as I would know I did it and I have to sleep at night.
Frank

At this point, I'd sleep like a baby. I used to think you had to abide by the rules to feel right about killing a deer. These new rules make no sense... I could sleep. That, I think is the greatest damage done by the DOW... they have lost their lofty perch in my mind.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Rex told Tonk. I told Tonk.. "You are just begging people to break the law".. Their response "We aren't going to regulate based on what a poacher "Might" do.

No, they are going to regulate on what the OFB tells them. There is NO good reason for a doe only early muzzy season...we are not over-populated.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No, they are going to regulate on what the OFB tells them. There is NO good reason for a doe only early muzzy season...we are not over-populated.

Yep.. You and I've been screaming that for years....

For anyone with doubts.. The early muzzy season is a direct recommendation by Ohio Farm Bureau..

jeremy44230

Medina County

Right... Just baiting people! You would think that news laws/regs would help prevent the ease of poaching, not make it easier!

They OBVIOUSLY want to thin the doe herd (deer herd) with this change! Most people will hammer em during an early muzzleloader season.

Kinda like they made changes that look good on the outside, but just helps them make more money and make it easier to wipe out does!

Some good, some bad like others have noted. Will say one thing though, Michigan went to an early antlerless hunt just before bow season a few years back. It absolutely has screwed the deer up for the rest of bow season ever since. Talk about sending deer nocturnal fast, that is the answer!!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Guess my deer survey didnt mean shit! I attached a seperate form with all of their fugg ups and how they are making this state closer to hunting michigan and pennsylvania. Unfortunately were just all pawns in this game their playing.... sure they are promoting poaching, sure they are killing our herd and management, an extra half hour in the dark to shoots slugs..... sure why not! In low light you cannot see orange! Everything at that time appears black, white, or grey, so they are begging for people to get shot imo.
How about extending waterfowl season an extra 1/2 hr.... damn near everywhere else hunts that way. Hell some of canada is an hour after sunset times!
I truely dont think that our DOW cares about the quality of our hunts and management, they only want their kill numbers to look the same or better to promote out of state revenue. FUGG EM!!!

Lundy

All of that time when everyone wanted the 2 day Bonus gun done away with and I said I hated to see opportunity reduced lets control harvest instead and you all jumped in my shit:)

Well you got your wish with a little twist.

The DNR is playing a slight of hand game. The illusion of reductions put in place amount to no anticipated reduction in harvest. All you have to do is look at past harvest data per hunter to see that. It is very clear.

The opportunity for gun hunters was shifted to OCT from DEC and killing of bucks eliminated. The harvest reduction you all touted as necessary to allow the population rebound has now been moved and enhanced with steroids by making it a doe only season prior to the regular gun. You will see a net increase in the harvest and they will all be FEMALE deer.

The bowhunters that wanted so much to save the deer herd by reducing opportunity through the elimination of the 2 day bonus gun ended up with the greatest reduction in opportunity of all. You lost a weekend in OCT to kill a buck.

The ODNR wrapped up an even more aggressive population reduction plan in a newer prettier package and some seem to be impressed

Again, be careful what you wish for:)

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
hell just tag it in on monday...thats whats up with telecheck..they will never know..matter of fact you could tag it in any time and they would never know. I would never condone such action but its the reality of the situation. whats to stop you from calling in your tag any day for that matter and killing a deer when you want, take it home cut it up and put it in the freezer.. gonna be tough to catch thats for sure.

Amen brother. Telecheck is a nothing but encouraging people to pick the low hanging fruit...

For anyone with doubts.. The early muzzy season is a direct recommendation by Ohio Farm Bureau..

I no longer doubt who is in bed with the DNR. It is oh so clear now more than ever...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Lundy, you are right, it is a slight of hand trick. Most will see it as a great thing, it appears they have cut back bag limits, and they have, but not PRACTICAL bag limits. Most will never meet the "limit", but many deer will be shot by those trying. An October Doe-Only season is insane, and there will be NONE shot on the properties I hunt primarily.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Someone remember to check the Monday telecheck following the October muzzy season. There will be a record number of bucks "tagged" on that day. Makes me want to NOT hunt bucks for at least a week after that weekend for fear of arrowing one. If you truly tagged one on that Monday or Tuesday following the Oct muzzy weekend, you would look guilty. Ridiculous!

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I'm honestly torn and I'll put on my flame proof suit just in case I piss in someone's cheerios.

I can't really see from the map I think Joe put up how that is going to change the harvest much. It basically looks like Zone A remains, Zone B was removed except for a few small pockets and the rest of the state is Zone C and all counties that had "urban zones" are now zone C. It also makes things kinda difficult because going by a county by county system makes it more challenging when hunting some of the larger wildlife areas that span multiple counties with now different limits.

I appreciate the early muzzleloading season but I don't know how much it will change the harvest. It is early enough in the fall that yes it'll be hunting in Tshirts and that makes for difficult cooling and taking care of the deer you shoot. However there are a contigent of hunters who won't give a S#!# and will kill the deer just because they can. I bet this first year it will be very popular and after that it will drift down to a constant number of hunters out, but I highly doubt it will be the same numbers as bonus weekend for shotgun season. I don't bowhunt so I have no idea how that will affect your opportunities. I appreciate it b/c I have always wanted to hunt the early season but it was in a limited area of the state and the one time I drove to Salt Fork to do it, it was slammed so bad I just turned around and drove home. This way that pressure will be spread out a bit more for better or worse.

The no bucks aspect of it for bowhunters sucks, but I agree with Joe its just begging people to break the law.

What really ticks me off is that its almost like they have given up on the urban areas which are the places that need the most deer removed. It really burns me when municipalities hire in sharpshooters without giving us as sportsmen and women a chance to thin the herd. I'm almost to the point of if the deer are a problem and you wont' allow hunting then tuff sh!$ but that'll never happen.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Overall I guess I am saying I don't think this did much to change anything other than make it more confusing and put more money in the state's pocket.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
All of that time when everyone wanted the 2 day Bonus gun done away with and I said I hated to see opportunity reduced lets control harvest instead and you all jumped in my shit:)

Well you got your wish with a little twist.

The DNR is playing a slight of hand game. The illusion of reductions put in place amount to no anticipated reduction in harvest. All you have to do is look at past harvest data per hunter to see that. It is very clear.

The opportunity for gun hunters was shifted to OCT from DEC and killing of bucks eliminated. The harvest reduction you all touted as necessary to allow the population rebound has now been moved and enhanced with steroids by making it a doe only season prior to the regular gun. You will see a net increase in the harvest and they will all be FEMALE deer.

The bowhunters that wanted so much to save the deer herd by reducing opportunity through the elimination of the 2 day bonus gun ended up with the greatest reduction in opportunity of all. You lost a weekend in OCT to kill a buck.

The ODNR wrapped up an even more aggressive population reduction plan in a newer prettier package and some seem to be impressed

Again, be careful what you wish for:)

Spin it how you like The "Early muzzy season" is a wet dream of the Farm Bureau and if you don;t believe it I can sho you a paper to the DNR where Farm Bureau says it should be done.. I have said it time and time again.. They will do a slight of hand and try to say they did us a favor but in reality it's a hill of beans.

I've personally know this was going to happen since strouds. Ad when I got back and posted the following...

At the beginning of the conversation I gave him my word that we we're "off the record" and Our convo wouldn't end up online. The state is taking a good hard look at our deer numbers. And we will see some changes in the near future. Changes that I believe are a step in the right direction.

So we will see what the final regulations are.. I think what they're is doing is a step in the right direction and needs to be done first before other changes can be made. It's the first step and lays the groundwork for better manageability. But it can go either way depending on the limits set. My goal has always been two fold.. Stop the decline, rebuild the damage. It has never been. Stop the decline, maintain the damage. We will see where the regulations fall and go from there. This however is a very positive step in the right direction and I applaud Tonk and the DNR for finally letting back off the throttle, taking a big hard look, and having the guts to actually recommend changes.

This is still a monumental step in the right direction.. There is no "Nuclear option" where it changes the momentum overnight and we arise victorious.. The biggest part of this is that we have now gone to a county by county management plan.. That's the first thing that needed to happen for us to start to see a turn around in Ohio.. Until that happened, nothing else was possible. This breaks the state down in to much more manageable units. It also allows us to attack the problem at a micro level. We can now make a case for each county and it's not diluted by the other 50 counties in the same zone.. Small changes can be made to a county, then another, and another, and another. We didn't win the war. Not even close. But the enemy is no longer in mass, instead it's fragmented and capable of being handled on a micro level. It's far easier to get a change made in a county than a zone. It's also far easier to organize a formidable voice in every county than a zone. We also now have a proof positive that the DNR is the Farm Bureaus bitch and will do what they want. While FB may have got their early muzzy season, a ton of bow hunters are about to be quite pissed.. Wait till we tell them whose best interest the DNR had in mind. We haven't won the war by a long shot. But make no mistake. This is Gettysburg. A turning point.

Last edited:

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Joe,

I see what you are saying and its only going to work if the ODNR is working to better the deer herd and NOT bowing to the wishes of an outside group. If sportsmen are not leading the way and providing the reasons for the ODNR to do something then its not going to get better.