Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Here They Are: 2013-2014 Season Proposals

Milo

Tatonka guide.
wonder when they are going to have the stones to post their county by county deer population numbers goals...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
You know if you had told me 30 years ago that some day Mahoning county would have a higher bag limit then southern counties like Jefferson and Washington I'm not sure I'd believed it. What a change!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
From schu's link.
Support for an early antlerless only muzzleloader season was shown by 63% of all deer
hunters, and 43% of archery‐only hunters.

I said it last year, and I said it to Tonk when he said the same thing at strouds.. .. It's a loaded question and they know it.. You could ask hunters if they want to replace archery season with rifle season and they would vote for it. That doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. That's why we have a DNR and the deer population isn't hunter managed on the honor system.. We as a group are incapable of managing the heard in a healthy manner.. We would kill them to extinction if left to our own devices. So we entrust a DNR to do what's right.. The problem is they're using us to work against us and they know it..

Last edited:

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I like that some counties limits were lowered.

Maybe it said, but are bucks off limits for the early Muzzy season? I know it's antlerless only with muzzy, but can we still kill a buck with a bow?

First thing I wondered. :smiley_chinrub:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
"With the popularity of trail cameras, many hunters now use ambush tactics, similar to
archery hunters, instead of a deer drives."

where in the world did they get this data?

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Hate the early doe season, especially since you can't shoot a buck even with a bow. Don't understand eliminating the urban zones when that'w where the reduction is needed most.

Agreed. That early season basically eliminates an entire weekend of bow hunting for a buck. Based on the dates I'd say I'll be duck hunting anyway as that's usually when season comes in. But regardless of that, they're taking away opportunities, and also saying that they don't trust hunters (telecheck) by NOT allowing them to kill a buck that weekend.

Eliminating urban zones also signals that they don't care about the growing population in these areas. They'd rather just continue knocking the numbers down elsewhere.

Bottom line is that individual hunters need to be educated and understand the herd for the areas they hunt. If you're in an area where the population has been hit hard, then don't kill 4 deer just because the DNR says you can. Conversely, if you're in an urban area and can use some doe management then wack away.

Schu72

Streetsboro
You know if you had told me 30 years ago that some day Mahoning county would have a higher bag limit then southern counties like Jefferson and Washington I'm not sure I'd believed it. What a change!

How about Harrison dropping into the 3 deer group? They are a top 10 county year in and out.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

I find it hard too believe they did that..... Really a 4 deer harvest in Mahoning county????? WTF are they thinking??? Granted in the urban zones of the county that would probably help out but the rest of the county doesn't need it.... What's your oppinion of your area Sam with a 4 deer limit?

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
They took Hardin from being a 2 either sex 2 antlerless.... to a 3 either..... 1 anterless.... all that tells me is they think we have too many deer in our herd or at least "enough". Still shaking my head on that one.

Phil... what are your thoughts about that for Allen?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
they are coming from bizzaro land with that statement..

You mean like "deer numbers are down because vehicle killed squirrels are down too" bizzaro.. They have been illogical for years man.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
there saying the hunters dont kill enough deer in the urban areas well if it werent such a pain to get in somewhere or the prices of tags were cheaper they might get some more people hunting them, all that says to me is there just gonna bring so called sharp shooters in to take care of th problem instead of letting the sportsman do it.