Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Saving the best for last......to be continued.

buckstar25

T-county
I am hoping we didn't now the clover too early, the does seemed to have been hitting it hard until this last cam check. Field scan showed them walking through it instead of stopping to fill up.

The old man did the mowing and got his blind platform set-up, he is having a bout with neuropathy in his legs and will be hunting mainly from the blind, great spot and easy access.

buckstar25

T-county
Hung 2 more cams last night, got to see the plot after he mowed it. Clover looks really good and with the rain we got I think it will be fine.

Trying a new approach to cams so we will see how it pans out, here are a few pics of the plot after he mowed. I am not sure of the rape, second year now and it has done average at best. Turnips are doing great, deer haven't touched the green beans or the pumpkins. Need to get a trailer down there to haul out the beans!

Looking from west to east in the plot
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378296785.144449.jpg

The blind set-up, he trimmed a little more than I would have.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378296880.306822.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378296894.083467.jpg

buckstar25

T-county
Got some good news last night, got the green light to hunt a piece of ground I hunted years ago and is a very good property. Next time we pull cards we are gonna take a cam or 2 down and see what happens.

buckstar25

T-county
Moved 3 of the 7 cams only to find out my 2 I-90's crapped out. Had to go back and grab the D8 out of the plot and walk back to our set-up, I get excited easily but this spot is absolutely bad ass!

2 primary runs intersecting at the cam, an upper and lower run pulling deer around and in from a creek bottom, deep hollow flanked by a massive thicket. I have 2 trees picked out to hunt in November. Any deer using the side of the property should walk past our cam, we set out about 100lbs of apples total and I can't wait to check the cam!

I am going to fight it as long as possible but I want to get in and get some yardages and climb to get a view from the stand. I'll put up some pics of the stands when I get done. If I can figure out how to go about posting the topo I will.

Here is the view from the cam location, looking straight to the intersection, the deer are bailing off the bench into the creek bottom, also using a logging road running left to right.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379041955.145782.jpg

Found this buck we have hundreds of pics of laying 20yds from the cam.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379041999.651096.jpg

buckstar25

T-county
Finally got my 60yd mark dialed in on my ascent. I made the mistake of not leveling the second axis, at 50yds it is a drastic change, everything is right, being that is a vertical pin I thing when I level the sight I won't lose my elevation/tape.

60yds
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379042212.701559.jpg

70yds
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379042232.306034.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good stuff buckstar! 70yds? You should be ready to rock at the close ranges if you are practicing out this far. I have yardage pins set up out to 60yds but have only practiced out to 40 so far and may need to adjust pins after I try my new arrows tomorrow.

buckstar25

T-county
Hicks, Black Gold reccomends sighting in at 20-40-60 yds then match up the yardage lines from your set up to the yardage tape they provide.

I am no way comfortable shooting at yardage past 30, just now starting to build confidence at 40. I ranged a 70 yd target strip and set out to get my official "tape" on my sight. The very next day I launched an arrow somewhere over or under the target at 60! Haha!!

buckstar25

T-county
Final tune on the Creed done, moved center shot back to 11/16" paper tuned, fixed second axis on the Ascent then to the cabin for some verification. Feeling great about my shooting and especially the adjustments made. My windage issue was fixed, shot 3 rounds at 60 and all 3 rounds were apart identical! 70 yds....well not so much!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379813937.770825.jpg

70yds, pulled the shot and this was the result!! Haha
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379813969.056569.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hicks, Black Gold reccomends sighting in at 20-40-60 yds then match up the yardage lines from your set up to the yardage tape they provide.

I am no way comfortable shooting at yardage past 30, just now starting to build confidence at 40. I ranged a 70 yd target strip and set out to get my official "tape" on my sight. The very next day I launched an arrow somewhere over or under the target at 60! Haha!!

Time has not been my friend but I am with you. Plenty confident at 30 and under. Gaining confidence at 40 and under. Need to improve on this as we enter the season. Probably don't need it, but the mental confidence is what I am looking for.

buckstar25

T-county
Time has not been my friend but I am with you. Plenty confident at 30 and under. Gaining confidence at 40 and under. Need to improve on this as we enter the season. Probably don't need it, but the mental confidence is what I am looking for.

Yep, time is my biggest thing. I am still kind of old school in my thinking, I have a 20 yard and closer "rule". Last year, due to practice, I took my longest shot of 32 yards. The deer dropped within 20 yards but I still had that doubt when I released the arrow. 20 and in I don't even think about it. This year I have made a conscious effort to shoot as much as I can, even if its 5 arrows I do it. My form combined with switching to a thumb release has forced me to shoot more than ever this year.

With me it is all mental, I feel very confident at 30 yards now and will take that shot if it presents itself.

buckstar25

T-county
Well, everything is as good as it's gonna get until the corn gets cut! Man I hate years of beans, we have not had a buck on cams in per a month. 150 acres of corn acrossed the way. Most of the deer we have seen are staying close to the corn in the creek bottom so my set-up Saturday will be somewhere close to the corn. Food plot had been inactive for a couple weeks, frustration and anxiousness has set in. Here come the doomsday thoughts!!!

Only buck we have gotten
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380031601.337450.jpg

buckstar25

T-county
Not sure what spooked him but it's a minute long video and he bolts back down the bank and you can hear him hit the water. A coyote came through at 7:00 that evening so maybe he smelled it? That bank is almost completely vertical and it's cool watching the deer go up and down it.

Still of a phone recorded video....sorry
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380503535.743366.jpg