Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bino's

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Its a lot like shopping for a scope Huck. Multi coated lenses are better than coated lenses, are better than nothing and so on. Usage is a factor like hunting out west and glassing a thousand yards or Ohio's 1-500 yard corn field tree line... Or that blond 3 houses down and across the street... Will you want a lighter one for the day pack or something heaver w/ more glass so you can scan the logged wood lot for a deer leg, eye or antler tip. Decide what you want to do with them first.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
images.jpg

Huckleberry Finn

Well dang, I'll have to shift through this when I get the chance - thanks for all the feedback.

What magnification should I be looking at? Woods and ag fields

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Mine are 8x. I think 8x or 10x is a personal preference. If you have a steady hand, 10x would work. If you can't hold still, then 8x might be a better choice. The larger the magnification, the more noticeable any little fidget or jiggle will be when looking thru them. Pretty much why you won't get a good picture thru a spotting scope by resting it on the hood of your truck while it is running. lol Well, at least not on my truck. It is either turn truck off or put it on a tripod.

Sticknstring

I won a pair of Vortex's at the Deer and Turkey Expo a couple years ago and I really like them except the lens caps can get in the way from time to time. I have not had a huge problem with fogging up during cold wet weather. That is one of my pet peeves.:beavis:

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I carry nikon 12x56's all the time. No trouble at all with dizziness and no fogging up. My buddy took a pair of Leica 10x50's out west elk hunting and we compared the two and didn't see any difference at all. You'd notice a big difference at the counter though...

Gordo

Athens County
Ive never looked threw a pair of vortex, but it sounds like they are solid.

Id still stress to get ya a pair of zeiss! I just dont think optics can get much better then them.

Whatever you end up with your gonna love. It feels like i use my binocs just about everyday as i always keep them handy.money well spent!

It's something you'll have forever

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll be purchasing the 10x42 like I posted the link to. My current POS Bushnells are 10x42 and I like that magnification personally...

Buckmaster

Portage
One last tidbit Huck, Leupold is made in the USA. That was also taken into consideration with my purchase along with the transferrable lifetime warranty.

If you stole them from me, and had an issue, Leupold would cover them for you.

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
One last tidbit Huck, Leupold is made in the USA. That was also taken into consideration with my purchase along with the transferrable lifetime warranty.

If you stole them from me, and had an issue, Leupold would cover them for you.

Not all Leupold are USA made. I have a set of imported Leupold so check 1st. I believe they are Windriver brand.
Frank

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I really like my Steiner Predator 8X30 focus-free binos. A little heavy but with a bino harness they can't be beat, well anyway for me that is. The Steiner has attached lens caps so I don't have to worry about not having them or loosing them.
But my 1st choice of binos are my Redfield 7X35 focus-free. I hunted in Alaska with 16 days out of 21 in rain and never a issue. However they have been out of production for 20 yrs now. I also have a match set of Redfield 10X50 focus-free and now you can talk about heavy. I use the 10 power for PD hunting for spotting.
The Redfields will show up on Ebay every once in awhile for 100.00 but be carefull that they say focus-free on the center cap.
Frank

Flatlander

Darby Creek
I use Nikon 10x50's. I like the light gathering abilities of the 50 mm. Now I want to check out the vortex after reading all the reviews on them.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I just use the ones in my pic. lol Kidding.. I have a pair of 10x42 nikons I think..