Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bino's

Huckleberry Finn

Something that I'd like to get before next season is a good pair of bino's. I've always wondered 'what I'm missing' and it seems to me like glassing is a 'pro' technique. I have a pair of about $10 ones that I knock around in my bag now, and although I use my rangefinder, this isn't something I really utilize.

I'd like to get a decent pair of bino's and a harness for them...no clue where to start.

Suggestions? Price ranges? Product reviews?

Thanks

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I have a pair of 10 x 40 Swarovski (which I bought used) and really like them.
Just a suggestion: Find a brand and size bino's that you like. Search Ebay and Amazon for the best price before you buy. If you do find them on Ebay and don't have an account, give me a shout and I will see you get it. Especially since I'm right down the street now. We've saved a ton of money on the higher dollar items and many were still in the box.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Yes, good binos are a must and expect to spend some money, but well worth it! You get what you pay for and most of the upper end binoculars are lifetime guaranteed. I have the Zeiss pockets and Kahles 10-42 and love them both!

Buckmaster

Portage
I went thru this 2 years ago. I bought a pair of Leopold Gold Ring 8x42. They cost around $ 500.00 and I got a $ 50.00 mail in rebate so I was setback $ 450.00.
One of my better hunting purchases. They are warrantied for life.

Happy Shopping.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have read a lot of good things about Vortex in the scope optics area being a great warranty, great glass and a great value.

I'm guessing that the same is for their binos?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Im pickin up some ziess this year...i was thinking about this last weekend in the stand..

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have never run a pair of "high end" binos. For tree stand hunting (and I get tons of use scouting in my truck with them) the Nikon Monarch ATB is a great buy. I am thinking you will be able to find them new in the $200-275 range. I don't like to spend money, but when i do I spend it right. I have been using these for 2-3 seasons now and i am very happy with them. They also have the 25yr warranty which is just about as good as lifetime. You hit the nail on the head with a good harness system as well. Money well spent. $20 for the Nikon harness and I really like it.

Not sure what the price is on the Vortex. Just saying, if you don't want to drop $4-600 there is another very good choice out there. They do well in low light as well. If the Vortex is in the same price range, I would recommend trying them side by side and then choose. Maybe some day I will drop $4-800 on a "high end" pair just for road scouting. Right now I am plenty happy.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Huck what kind of price range you looking at? That is another thing I like about Vortex...something for every price range but all of them are Lifetime Guaranteed!

Crossfire II - Usually around $149 and I think they are just as good or better than the Nikons that are $300.

Diamondback - $229 and they are better than my Nikons and Leupolds I had. These are what I am buying next once these Nikons I have completely die or I quite buying other stuff instead.

Viper HD - $400 to $500. These would be considered top of the food chain a couple years ago. These are too much glass for OH IMHO but I can see why others buy them. They rate with $1,000 units.

The more expensive binos are for the serious watcher. Someone who needs details. Most couldn't tell the difference between a great pair of binoculars and top of the line until they pay....$700 to $1500 more than the $400 Vipers. And still I think the Razor HD's are the best bang for the buck at $900.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
IMO, it's whatever your willing to spend. I paid 860.00 for my Kahles, made in Austria. The clarity and sharpness in low light was phenomenal. A couple of guys in my Hunting group teased me for paying so much. Once they looked through them at first light and saw how clear they were, they shut up. The one fellar said, my God these are really nice. I had to laugh. My choice to spend the money on a good pair was this, take care of them and I will have them till the day that I die. I was so tired of cheap optics fogging up and falling apart. Good luck and hope you find some to your liking. Beener had some good advice as well.

I am with Beaner an Jesse...I borrowed a pair of Crossfires in 8x42 for a few months an loved them...Places are marking them down now because the Crossfire II's will be released soon..I saw some marked down to 99$ some place....Unless I was spending over 1k$,I would most likley choose vortex...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hey OMO....don't you just use a monocular?rotflmao

lmao

Huckleberry Finn,
I purchased this pair of binos for my brother, for his b-day. It's the Bushnell Clam model of 10x42. They're identical to mine, but his are a slightly smaller version...which is a good thing. These are, what I'd consider to be a mid-sized pair of binos.

I purchased these back in December, for $49. However, he says that they're on sale for $20, at our Lima location. If it's something you think you'd be interested in getting, I can purchase them NOW (while they're still on the shelf) and ship them to you...after you send me $20. Don't worry about the shipping.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bushnell-10-x-42mm-Waterproof-Binoculars-Clam/21270194

Let me know, what you want to do. :smiley_chinrub:
Bowhunter57

lol Fuggers:smiley_depressive: .......I have the Bushnells from walmart(same place I buy my eye patches:smiley_coolpeace:) sitting around, paid 25$ an I feel they suck(just my opinion)...Tried a pair of Nikon 10x25 Realtree compacts.They have crappy specs(10x25) for my use's but are better than the Bushnell overall in my opinion

Last edited: