Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Out of the deer hunting scene

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have been out of the deer hunting scene for the last 7 days. I had a big deer hunting week planned last week but it didn't work out.
I had to butcher a 1600 lb bull on the spare of the moment. My brother came down last Wednesday morning. I shot it with a pistol behind the ear and it took till dark to hang and quarter it out to hang in my polebarn. The weather was great with 30's during the day and the 20's during the night. The meat chilled out quick and was easy cutting as it was cold.
Had to take Thursday off to rest up and let the meat hang a day. Friday and Saturday we cut it up all day and gound it into hamburger at night. I bought a LEM #22 grinder and what a sweet machine as it's rated at 550 lbs per hour and it will do all of that with ease.
Sunday we finished cutting and Monday morning finished grinding and cleaned up.
Put 450 lbs of good beef in the freezer. Of that we cut up 50 lbs of backstrape steaks and the rest in clean low fat hamburger.
He was a cross of a Scotish Highland bull and Polled Herferd cow. Scotish Highland breed is what they call a "Old World Breed" as the breed hasn't been bred into a beef animal and they store their fat on the outside of the muscle like a deer or elk. But man the fat he had as we cut off 33 gallons of fat and connecting tissue for coyote bait.
Setting up a ground blind for a 150 yd shot into my bottom pasture from a overlook in my backyard.
Now it's too damn cold to set and deer hunt. For me anyway. But it looks like I will get couple decent days next week before leaving for the Lima Gunshow.
Frank

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My neighbor just called me and there is 8 deer standing in front of my ground blind over there. Now I don't know how close just in front of the blind is to him.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great work Frank, it's always rewarding doing it yourself! Props to you man! Good stuff and thanks for sharing. Good luck on the yotes and deer if your able to get back out.