Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who's seeing shed bucks?

themedic

OHIO
I'm not running any corn piles and really have no idea how many bucks have shed in my area but I have heard some guys say as high as 70% in their areas. How many are you guys seeing and if you had to guess a % what would it be?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Not I Corey, I jumped a bachelor group of bucks with two 120 to 140ish bucks and 3-4 small bucks today while just walking a picked beanfield and they busted out 100 yards into the wide open and just one of the smaller bucks appeared to be missing one side.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yep. Hate to see it, but it happens every year.:) I hunted one for a couple of years that dropped right after gun season every year.

Attachments

• WGI_0009.jpg
    WGI_0009.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 132
  • WGI_0028.jpg
    WGI_0028.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 127

Gordo

Athens County
It looks as though every buck on one of my properties has shed in the last 10 days...

Going to check another cam on a different property now.

Time to start walking

Flatlander

Darby Creek
You'd better get to it Gordo! Look forward to hearing about your finds.

I swear the majority never seem to drop around here until late Feb or even into March.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I'll know by the end of the week when I go check the camera I just hung. Seems like they're shedding earlier this year by a lot of reports.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Most of the bucks I have on camera in southeast Ohio, I think near Cotty, have already shed. Based on past years they start dropping around the first of the year. Up north, most of the bucks I see on camera still have their antlers.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If there is still available tail to chase, they should have high enough testosterone levels to carry for a while longer. With injuries, stress, and/or no ladies to occupy their time, the antlers drop pretty fast...

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Have no clue as I have not seen any bucks (or does for that matter) in my area. There's a lot of things you don't have too worry about once all of your deer are dead!

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Checked cams today, and had 3 that have shed both sides on one property. Another place showed one that has dropped one side.