Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CSI Adams County - what happened here?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Midday Sunday came down off the ridge I was hunting - decided to walk a couple ravines over and circle back around to my ATV just to see what I could see....saw a ribcage so I decided to give a closer look. When I came up on the scene this is what I saw....

IMAG0140_zpsd6e5abc6.jpg

Area around it was pretty torn up....no snow, no tracks to follow....and no head!

It seemed pretty fresh still, and when I moved the skin it was still soft and loose - hadn't hardened up. When I turned the skin over a little green piece of plastic about an 1/8" dia and 1/4" long fell out of the hair.....couldn't tell what it was, but that made me think something human had been on the scene...

IMAG0142_zpscbe46fca.jpg

Here's a couple pictures of the neck....

IMAG0143_zps70711452.jpg

IMAG0141_zps148533ac.jpg

Another picture from a different angle....

IMAG0144_zps02b5f6d4.jpg

Now here's a picture of the pelvis.....I thought it was funny that in the membrane there is a perfectly round hole, but it looked a little big for a slug...dunno what to think about that...

IMAG0145_zpsbc009ac9.jpg

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
It was about 100 yards uphill from an ATV trail DEEP in a wooded property, probably a quarter mile or more away from any road....and near the top of a high ridge, on the side away from the closest road.

Like I said, it seemed fresh, but no guts, no nothin.

The day before I was down in the bottom field near the creek at sunset, expecting deer to come down off that ridge and into the field to feed like they almost always do...sure enough, 15 mins before sundown I hear deer coming from the direction where I found this....but instead of walking down the hill, they were busting ass parallel to the top of the ridge behind me...not loping along, but flat out running...then a half minute later I hear something else running but couldn't see it...figured it was a dog or yote or something.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I found a headless carcass too. It turned out that the land owner's buddy shot a buck and that's where they ditched the carcass after processing.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
This thing's joints were all intact - it had not been quartered.
And I cannot imagine anybody going to the effort of packin that carcass all that way UPHILL to dispose of it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No thoughts in regards to cause of death. One theory: Someone made a bad shot. Couldn't find deer. Coyotes (filthy bastards) cleaned up the carcass. Hunter found his buck later but realized he could not use the meat. ??? Orrrr, maybe a doe cleaned up by coyotes that had her head drug off somewhere into the woods?

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
No thoughts in regards to cause of death. One theory: Someone made a bad shot. Couldn't find deer. Coyotes (filthy bastards) cleaned up the carcass. Hunter found his buck later but realized he could not use the meat. ??? Orrrr, maybe a doe cleaned up by coyotes that had her head drug off somewhere into the woods?

X2

Next time could you please post a pic of Elisabeth Shue when you mention CSI.:pickle:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Someone could have boned out the good meat and took the head that far from the road. That round hole in the pelvic earea probaly dropped the deer in it's tracks.
Frank

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It looks to me like the carcass of a deer that's been butchered recently. When I butcher deer, I bone them out without quartering them. The only thing I do is cut the lower legs off at the "knee." The fact that the head's been cut off, and there's no evidence of guts, leads me to believe someone was just disposing of a carcass.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I cannot imagine anyone going that far back in the property, that far away from an ATV trail and over 100 yrds UPHILL to dispose of a carcass.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I cannot imagine anyone going that far back in the property, that far away from an ATV trail and over 100 yrds UPHILL to dispose of a carcass.

I agree... that doesn't make much sense. What is uphill of where the carcass was found? Could someone have drug it downhill from some place?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
With the hide still there and everything but the head at the scene leads me to believe the deer(buck) was shot and found after spoilage and a hunter found it and just took the head for the horns. It doesn't necessarily have to be the one who killed it to have been the one who took the head either. Imho

Ricer2231

With the hide still there and everything but the head at the scene leads me to believe the deer(buck) was shot and found after spoilage and a hunter found it and just took the head for the horns. It doesn't necessarily have to be the one who killed it to have been the one who took the head either. Imho

This sounds like the most logical explanation to me TOO.

Yeah I agree, probably someone stumbled upon it and took home a 'trophy'

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Now where have I seen that green plastic before? Wasn't there a thread awhile back that had an object just like that and Joe figured out what it was? I will see if I can find that thread again.

Seems to me that deer may have been poached and head cut off.

EDIT:

I found the thread but it was a different plastic and it was Brock that knew what it was.

http://www.theohiooutdoors.com/showthread.php?6501-What-could-this-be&highlight=poached:plastic

I still say there is something fishy with that plastic. What tip does the Remington accutips use? is there a harder center piece that could stay intact?

Last edited: