Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sitting in someone else's treestand

Kaiser878

ohio
Nope.... Not unless its a buddy I share the hunting ground with...Most of my stands have 5 5/8 inch bolts fort he first 5 steps...I take them out when I leave, this keeps people out of my stuff

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Only stands I have ever sat in was mine or other people that gave me permission to sit in theirs if they wasn't there.

I would never sit another persons stand that didn't give me permission to do so. Just a common courtesy thing and unspoken rule that you don't sit in other peoples stands.

I'm not sure what posses people to do this as I have had it done a couple years ago. Now I take my lower steps out of the tree the week before gun season. Not saying someone couldn't have been in my stands during bow season but Dante and I only started seeing other bow hunters on a regular basis this year. The guys that was in my stands a couple years ago just happen to do so during gun season when there was enough snow on the ground to track them from my climber to another guys ladder stand. I asked them about my stand and they had enough balls to say they walked by it but never got in it. I called BS since the stand was facing the opposite direction of the way I left it and now they was in another guys stand they didn't know lol.

Not unless I knew the person who hung the stand, and they specifically said it was OK to hunt the stand. Otherwise I hang my own.

Yep, even if it's in the same tree...so what?!?! LOL!

That's one thing I would never do and even if I was told to go ahead and do I still would be reluctant. Unless it's a stand my buddy and I hung together it would be hard to even trade stands if neither of us had anything invested into it so to speak. Same with some others too on whether the stand was hung right, there for a long duration and the straps might be questionable, etc..

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I could never bring myself to hunt a stand that someone else hung.

What if you go into a thick area and spend hours clearing lanes and cutting brush and vines out of the tree you want to hang in come fall. Head in during November to hunt it, and find a climber attached to the tree with a lock on it, and a gallon jug of deer attractant strung up in a tree 15y away. What do you do then?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I could never bring myself to hunt a stand that someone else hung.

What if you go into a thick area and spend hours clearing lanes and cutting brush and vines out of the tree you want to hang in come fall. Head in during November to hunt it, and find a climber attached to the tree with a lock on it, and a gallon jug of deer attractant strung up in a tree 15y away. What do you do then?

Hope this didn't happen to you Greg.
Leave a note on the stand explaining why the area was perfect. A Real Hunter will excuse himself to another location. If not, spray it down with Old Spice.....

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
If they are on public land they are fair game. That said, I would never sit in another persons stand unless it was a friend's, nor would I put one on public land.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
No permission no sit! One day I got off work early and slowly creeped to my stand not alerting anything only to find my " buddy" sitting in my stand. He looked shocked to see me, I was like WTF man, he said I didn't think you were hunting today. Really pissed me off that day and ruined my hunt! Like I said, No permission no sit!

With permission yeah...The small amount of land I have,but up to my step-uncles an then another lifelong neighbor on the other-side of his....I have permission to hunt it all,but my uncle lets 2 guys from his work hunt his part(middle)..They approached with the proposition that if I allowed them to run rabbits on my place,I could use one of the 2 stands they have set....I said sure,but doubt I would use said stands..One isnt hung to tight and the other sticks out like a sore thumb

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I wouldnt sit in another persons stand even if I had permission to TOO, Had another guy hunting my wifes grandmothers property one year, met up with him and we worked things out, where are stands was etc...., he told me I could sit his stands as long as he wasnt hunting, I told him the same, well to find out he was a guy that liked to show up right after daylight, not there when I went in but would be parked there when I left, well one morning he walked right up to me in one of my stands and looked up and said " I didnt think you was going to be in this stand" we made the decision right there to hunt our own stands from then on out, really doesnt matter now, he got kicked off the property the same year for tearing up the fences near one of his stands so the deer could "move" easier! lol

Several years ago up here in Mich. I had a ladder stand up in the corner of a bean field. Some other guys were given permission to hunt the property too but were supposed to stay in an area way to the South. My first hunt of that stand that year I was so stoked to get there early one morning. Bow season had been in for about a week and I just new I would have a good chance at something since the stand hadn't been visited in about a month. Well as I climbed up and started fumbling around in my pack to get tied into the tree and put my bowhanger up I noticed a strap around the tree. Shined my flashlight up a little and there was a bow hanger. WTF! Hunted that whole day and didn't see a single deer. Man I was pissed!! When I got back to the farmer's house I asked about who it would be and found out the farmer told them they could hunt that area too but forgot about the treestand. His whole attitude was if they kill deer it didn't matter to him where they hunted. Let's just say I got more use out of my climber from those days forward. LOL, the next weekend that stand was on it's way to Ohio where it proudly sits to this day.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Unfortunately it did...

That's how them West Virginians roll!

My answer would be just what Curran said. I've hunted stands that Fluteman hung, but only with his blessing. I have also had people hunt mine without permission and I want to put a boot in their ass when I find out. Takes a lazy, thoughtless fuck to do that IMO

Lundy

Found a guy in one stands. It was bow season before daylight on private property that only I had permission on.

I asked him politely to vacate my stand and the property and he asked if it would be alright if since he was already in the stand that he go ahead and hunt until noon, he had a doctor appointment at 1 PM so he would be gone by noon.