Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Roadkill buck

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I was driving home from Arbys the other night and saw a very nice 155-160" 10 pt standing 20 ft from the road so I immediately slowed down. He was standing there with a little fork horn. I turned back around to scare him off the roadside so he didnt get hit and sure as chit I see a buck about 40 yards off the road dragging his back legs! He would drag himself about 10' and stop to catch his breathe. I called the non emergency # to get a cop there to put the deer down and waited 30 mins with no cop in sight. So I called back and talked to the Sgt. and told him I had been watching this buck drag his ass end all over the place and needs someone to end his suffering. I mentioned that I lived 2 mins away and could get my bow and do it if he couldnt get someone there in a reasonable time. He actually gave me the pass and said do it. I ran home, grabbed the bow, drove back, and ended his suffering. Right after I shot it the cops showed up to give me a carcass tag so that I could salvage it. He will be going to the processor to be donated and im thinking I may just euro the head since I feel like he deserves it. Havent scored him but looks to be low 30's, his mass may make him a little higher unless im way off.

I guees when you takes WEEKS off to hunt and hunt 3 different states and cant kill a buck this is the deer gods way of smacking me in the face LOL.

I feel like im getting close though, I have 3 pretty decent bucks still showing on cam everynight and im taking weds & thurs off to hunt them!

Roadkill buck:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hate to see them go this way. Good for you for doing the right thing. Keep after them Zach. You have paid your dues. Hopefully your turn to tag a buck is soon!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Unfortunately this is a farm I used to have access to and still could if I wanted. I had permission on a 2 acre swamp that the deer traveled thru to get to crop. I know of alot of deer this calibur running this farm too. My biggest issue with this place was everyone and their brother snuck in and I had more equipment stolen out of there then I care to share so I didnt lease it this year. Either way I would of like to of seen this deer grow one more year. Def gonna lease it again next year but not leave any equipment since I had to learn the hard way. Half tempted to get it back and go after that big 10pt I saw in the same friend, he ran right back to where my old treestand used to be.

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Yea Zach, I knew that buck wasn't going to make it. I saw him cross in that same spot by the advertising sign several times when there was traffic. He even had a scrape he frequented right up by the road where he was hit. Too bad he went down that way, he had some good potential, he was decent this year just had short brow tines. I have some video of him too. Glad you were there when it happened so he didn't become coyote food.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Just caped him out bc a buddy needed a hide for a set of sheds he found. There was actually a handgun bullet in the deers neck! Looks like a .40 cal bullet, never muchroomed or exited, it went through one side and lodged between the hide and his muscle on the other! The deer was just having a bad life it sounds like!