Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tonk is the easy target

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I think all huck is saying is 'the tonk' serves as the whipping boy of the ODNR.

I always say that is true of the US president, and wonder who is really runnin the show. I always come to the conclusion that it's ALWAYS money.

Same situation here? It's always a factor....

Whip on.....

Yes he does. But at the end of the day he is the one doing the research and making the recommendations. If he's being pressured to make bad decisions for Ohio hunters I don't see that as a valid excuse for immunity. And if people get fired up about mismanagement of deer at the DNR, poor tonk will be the first one they throw under the bus. If the chatter gets too loud and it starts coming from above the wildlife council and director will play stupid and say they were simply going off of his recommendations. Even if they are the one that pressured him. Shit rolls downhill and the buck stops with the guy whose name is on the program.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
if Mike is in a classified position, he really has no reason to worry about his employment. He can write his honest opinion and recommendation without fear of issues from above. if he is unclassified then different story.

huntnfool

Thornville
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Kaisch doesn't read TOO. I know you'll show me stats that others do, and that's ok. The governor does have a staff that opens and reads his letters, forwards them to agencies, and ensures that they are responded too. Scott Zody has a phone that rings on his desk and hip...everyday. With 20 letters, you could get a sit down meeting with Zehringer in 3 weeks. Who do you think is more likely to make a change on Tonk? You writing shit online, or his boss's boss telling him to look into something further? The guy who writes stuff behind a screen name on the internet, or the man that signs his paychecks?

For someone who didn't know who Zehringer was 2 months ago, good luck taking down ODNR, Joe. That'd be like taking down the DNC by attacking a state senator, without knowing who the president is.

I am blown away by this concept that the government suddenly got efficient. One dude making 60k determines the policy of our million dollar business...uh huh. Not gonna believe that one at all. Back to the original purpose of this thread, as Sam said, yes, Tonk is a great person to present your info and numbers and complaints too, but there are more people that should be taking heat - and I believe that those people would reply to you in a way that actually could change something. Further, you need to reach those people through the channels they are used to...phone calls and letters; not hidden and squirreled away on the internet.

News flash, Tonk isn't losing his job over this. He'll be retiring in however many years will all of his benefits whether or not you ever see another deer in the woods again...

Huck just because someone makes 60k does not mean he does not have ability to make these types of decision. You have said this couple times but l turn it this way the president makes 350000 year ( I may be wrong here) but yet he runs the country. Shit doctors, lawyers, insurance salesman make this much in year. So someone pay cant justify there duties.

Huckleberry Finn

Nobody said he did read TOO. You seem to be under the impression that official channels "people are used to" are designed to achieve change. Lol. Yeah. Like open houses, and letters sure worked. lmao. How about you go call the NRA and tell them they're doing it wrong. All they have to do is write a letter. If that were true lobbyist organizations wouldn't exist. As for the rest of your post I'm not sure where to start with that silliness. There is the way government works, and how they portray it works. go ahead and write kasich a letter. Be sure to post the prewritten reply from an intern when you get it back, IF you get a response at all. As for talking to them. I fully expect we will have some conversations over the next two years and it won't be because I wrote them a letter. :)

It's not about a response, it's about building a public record of opinion...for when you shit on their cars in the parking lot!

Huckleberry Finn

Huck just because someone makes 60k does not mean he does not have ability to make these types of decision. .

Once again...do you suddenly think that the govt got efficient over night? Man! Do you know how many meetings they have to plan discussions about the deer herd numbers. I bet they have committees that just plan the meetings. Sure, Tonk is the guy running the power point, but the decisions are made elsewhere.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Once again...do you suddenly think that the govt got efficient over night? Man! Do you know how many meetings they have to plan discussions about the deer herd numbers. I bet they have committees that just plan the meetings. Sure, Tonk is the guy running the power point, but the decisions are made elsewhere.

But it all falls on the man with the title. And shit rolls down hill. You'll learn that the suits will cut your throat in a heartbeat if it saves their own ass. Or even for less sometimes. Lol