Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Toughest Thing I have ever done

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
On my Iowa hunt I had to make a decision and it was the toughest thing I had ever done. We went to film both my hunt and my good friend Steve Olson's. One of the shows that I have a sponsorship with just bought air time on the Sportsman channel for quarter 1 and 2. We knew they were planning on using our footage for one of the episodes so I talked the outfitter into buying advertising with them as well since if we shot deer he would get a show dedicated to his outfitting business. On opening night right as we ran out of camera light but still had a lot of legal shooting time left one of the bucks we were after Rip Van Winkle stepped out at 60 yards. He stayed broadside from 60 to 100 yards for almost 30 minutes. Even though I wanted to shoot him I could not and never took off the saftey because we couldnt film it. There was more to it than just shooting a buck, I felt like if I shot that buck off camera I would blow an opportunity for my company, let down my friends that put the show together and most important blow it for the outfitter that I talked into spending $ on advertising. Passing that buck was the toughest thing I have ever done while hunting. The next couple of days were pretty stressful :)

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they couldn't shoot a deer cause of money. That would be stressful...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This is the reason most will not go the route you are going. Do you want to make money or do you want to enjoy deer hunting? There are perks both ways. As in any hobby which you turn into a business, it is often difficult to have a successful business AND still enjoy your hobby. Better you than me. I would have killed that deer. I don't need fame or exposure. I don't make a living in the industry. Glad it worked out for you.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I am saying that some one I know paid for advertising because we were filming while we hunted with him. I felt that if I shot that buck off of film I wasted the money he spent. This was not about just me or I would have shot. That is why it was tough to do.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sounds self inflicted to me man. One of the many reasons I gave up filming and any dream I had of being on TV or DVD. Takes a different breed to fool with all that...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Man, that could have sucked royal ass! Thank goodness you weren't on a bowhunt! Lol

Imagine if you left for home without getting another opportunity. OUCH! That would have stung bigtime!

Happy it worked out the way it did for ya, but I'd have said FUGG EM and shot it the first time. That would have been my biggest buck to date...