Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What An Incredible Hunt!

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I just got back from the most incredible hunt I have ever been on. I was hunting with Wicked Whitetail Outdoors in SW Iowa. I have always wanted to hunt Iowa and chase those MONSTER whitetails! After years of wanting to go I finally drew a tag to hunt the second gun season. I could go on and on about so many great stories, including filming a 150" main frame 8 pointer from the road that was blind in both eyes, to having to pass the buck I eventually shot on the first night because we just ran out of camera light even though there was still 20 minutes of legal shooting time left to watching the footage of my good friend Steve Olson shooting a 156" 8 pointer to getting an opportunity to shoot my buck on the fourth night with some help from two coyotes. Watching the footage of my shot to see exactlly where I hit him...3 inches above his heart from 138 yards with a Savage 20 gauge bolt action slug gun was unbelievably intense. I think I will write a blog about the whole thing because there is so much to write and this is already getting very long. Here are the details the buck was named Rip Van Winkle...and he is not waking up from this nap...he is a main frame 10 pointer with a split G2. He scored just over 168" and he field dressed at 187 pounds.