Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stupid question

oakswamper

around Toledo
Any of you guys know if you can hunt small game this weekend? I looked in the laws but it only says what you can hunt during the 7 day, youth, and muzzy season it doesn't say about this weekend. But I'm pretty dumb and might not see it

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The only time small game shuts down during season is for the actual one week deer gun season .... bonus seasons don't come into play.... just make sure you wear the proper amount of orange .....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I had no idea. Thanks for sharing. Not that I was planning on squirrel hunting this weekend, but it is good to know. I am squirrel hunting in the morning.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Ric, I guess they just treat it like the special youth deer season..... Gotta appease us small gamers as well.... :smiley_clap:

I remember when they added the bonus weekend, there was concern of it affecting other hunting. I don't think most other states stop small game hunting for deer hunting. Not really sure why Ohio does. I guess they think a grouse hunter might forget he has an ounce of #8s and shoot at a deer.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I remember when they added the bonus weekend, there was concern of it affecting other hunting. I don't think most other states stop small game hunting for deer hunting. Not really sure why Ohio does. I guess they think a grouse hunter might forget he has an ounce of #8s and shoot at a deer.

That's why you carry slugs with you Sam, that way you can kill two birds with one stone.... rotflmao

But seriously, I've lost track of the numbers of deer we jump chasing bunnies..... My way of thinking it's good for the deer hunters too a point too have the rabbit/pheasant guys out there as they'll move deer around, just gotta pay attention and not crowd the deer hunters is all....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This is the primary reason for the law in the first place. It helps minimize the lying or excuses as to why a hunter who has already filled his buck tag or limit for being out hunting in the first place. That'd be my guess.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Just don't forget which is were...... rotflmao

Did that once as a kid but with a pump.. During the fall I would always put buckshot in the chamber and number 4's in the tube. (For those who don;t know I grew up in Mississippi) Then I would slide the pump back until the buckshot almost ejected but stayed in the chamber. If I jumped a deer I would slam the pump forward and boom, If it was a squirrel or other small game, moving the pump back 1/4 inch then forward would load the #4s. It works very well and doesn't waste any time as it's done when shouldering the gun. That is until you flush a fall turkey and accidentally hammer him with 00 buck from 20 feet. :smiley_clap:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Did that once as a kid but with a pump.. During the fall I would always put buckshot in the chamber and number 4's in the tube. (For those who don;t know I grew up in Mississippi) Then I would slide the pump back until the buckshot almost ejected but stayed in the chamber. If I jumped a deer I would slam the pump forward and boom, If it was a squirrel or other small game, moving the pump back 1/4 inch then forward would load the #4s. It works very well and doesn't waste any time as it's done when shouldering the gun. That is until you flush a fall turkey and accidentally hammer him with 00 buck from 20 feet. :smiley_clap:

How was the meat afterwards....... rotflmao My buddy had a turkey round he accidently put in his vest and used it on a rabbit unknowingly just thought it was another hi brass shell.... Yeah until he almost cut one in half with it..... rotflmao If you make it too Cotty's rabbit hunt.... Leave those at home..... rotflmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good thing I got this done and out of ny system this morning then. View attachment 11917 uploadfromtaptalk1355419182186.jpguploadfromtaptalk1355419215222.jpg

I love my 17hmr. Two shots. Two kills. Like the headshot?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355419159344.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355419159344.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 92