Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Always Wondered. Why PA?

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I loved PA hunting back in the 90's! Cut my teeth on deer hunting in Warren county, Hermit Springs area to be specific. This is Allegheny National Forest area.

The split season was great, but the Game Commission did everything they could to reduce the herd. As stated here many times, you would have a "herd" coming over the top of the hill. Now you're lucky if you see a couple deer a day in Allegahney National Forest. Once the WMU's were created, and the 3pt to one side rule came into affect we started seeing larger bucks. This is because the number of doe permits were reduced and you could no longer kills spikes - 2yr old deer. I'm doing everything I can to get back there next fall. Wanted to get there this year, but it just didn't work out. For the guys in Ohio that don't know what "deer camp" is all about.......get to the big woods once!

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I loved PA hunting back in the 90's! Cut my teeth on deer hunting in Warren county, Hermit Springs area to be specific. This is Allegheny National Forest area.

The split season was great, but the Game Commission did everything they could to reduce the herd. As stated here many times, you would have a "herd" coming over the top of the hill. Now you're lucky if you see a couple deer a day in Allegahney National Forest. Once the WMU's were created, and the 3pt to one side rule came into affect we started seeing larger bucks. This is because the number of doe permits were reduced and you could no longer kills spikes - 2yr old deer. I'm doing everything I can to get back there next fall. Wanted to get there this year, but it just didn't work out. For the guys in Ohio that don't know what "deer camp" is all about.......get to the big woods once!

Love rifle hunting Warren County. I hunt(ed) just Northwest of the town of Warren.