Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Harvest Data compiled

Lundy

I got tired of going back and forth on the ODNR website trying to compare harvest data.

I put it all into one sheet to make it easy for me to understand what the harvest has really been the last 10 years.

You guys may have already done this, if not you might find this helpful.

Last edited:

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Looks good Lundy...How about licensed hunters and tags sold? Just wondered if that is also available...since you're on a roll with the chart thing...

Last edited:

Lundy

I added the permit sales by year numbers as requested.

I can not find any published information for the number of hunters.

They do reference around a 33% success rate for deer hunters, but give no exact data that I can find. The success %/tags number I show is NOT hunter success rate, just a percentage of tags purchased versus used.

That would put the total number of deer hunters somewhere in the 475,000- 500,000 range. Maybe Mike can get the hunter numbers since he has all of the right connections.

In 2011 - 157, 726 hunters killed a deer, of which 114,789 killed one, 30,147 killed 2, 8,581 killed 3, and 4,209 killed 4 or more

A couple of other notes of interest.

Antlerless tags sales are up 61% from since 2006/2007 season
All other tags are up 4.5% over the same time period

During 2010 30,889 buttons were part of the antlerless total harvest

During the 2011 season 18% of the total antlerless harvest was a button buck or 25,836 buttons
Archery percentage of button bucks in the antlerless harvest was slightly better at 17% of their harvest.

The harvest of all of those button bucks is a mixed blessing. It reduces the buck population but it those harvested were converted to all does the population the next year would take a big hit from all of the missing offspring the next spring.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Could have saved you a ton of work brother and emailed you our excell doc. It also has dva, licenses, tags, and a county by county harvest over the last decade broken down by weapon. Send me a pm with your email and I will send it to you Monday.

Lundy

Thanks, I will send you my e-mail so you can send me your Excel sheet.

I liked doing what I did however, it gave me my one sheet to look at.

Is there any historical data available for number of deer hunters by year?

The tag success ratio doesn't equate to hunter success ratio.

Once the state went to all automated tag sales it should have been easy to cross reference a tag sale with a individual hunter. Back some years ago with the license outlets just writing out paper permits from the books would have been impossible to determine individual hunter numbers

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Thanks, I will send you my e-mail so you can send me your Excel sheet.

I liked doing what I did however, it gave me my one sheet to look at.

Is there any historical data available for number of deer hunters by year?

The tag success ratio doesn't equate to hunter success ratio.

Once the state went to all automated tag sales it should have been easy to cross reference a tag sale with a individual hunter. Back some years ago with the license outlets just writing out paper permits from the books would have been impossible to determine individual hunter numbers

Lundy, other than the news articles that say an estimated number of hunters, I don't recall seeing actuals. Ideally you would know number of hunters by weapon and county.

Hope to see this in the future to drive meaning to the harvest data.

Lundy

Lundy, other than the news articles that say an estimated number of hunters, I don't recall seeing actuals. Ideally you would know number of hunters by weapon and county.

No way to gather than data, county and weapon, with the current information gathering done by the ODNR. The current game check will provide it but only for those that kill a deer.

However, once they converted to all electronic tag sales they should have been able to easily determine how many indivdual hunting license holders purchased a deer tag and how many or what type. This data should be available somewhere but I have not seen it anywhere.

I don't remember how many years ago the permit sales went to electronic only, do you?

huntn2

Hudson, OH
No way to gather than data, county and weapon, with the current information gathering done by the ODNR. The current game check will provide it but only for those that kill a deer.

However, once they converted to all electronic tag sales they should have been able to easily determine how many indivdual hunting license holders purchased a deer tag and how many or what type. This data should be available somewhere but I have not seen it anywhere.

I don't remember how many years ago the permit sales went to electronic only, do you?

Not sure on the electronic sales data. I know what I said would be ideal is not currently available. It is ideal and IMO necessary to manage the herd. It would provide the appropriate detail to make heads or tales out of the harvest results.

I am hopeful any changes that come next year help lead to this granularity of data.