Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Goose Hunting Fun

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Got an invite to hunt some geese with Carpn this morning over in Ashland County. The first big flock of birds unexpectedly came in cross-winded, jumped one of the wings of our spread, and landed off to our far right... pretty much eliminating any good shot opportunities for the whole group. We decided to adjust the dekes a bit and it paid off. The next flock to come in approached from the same angle, but this time they had more room to work out front. This flight of geese didn't fare as well as the first... :)

[video=youtube;BiWoBgZc_V0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiWoBgZc_V0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Later on a single finally committed after giving us fits for about 3 or 4 passes. A nice lesser Canada met his maker. Total for the morning... 7 geese.

deadgeese_8Dec2012.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Cool vid jimbob...what cam is that? Go pro?

I wish. :smiley_depressive:

I have a pair of the i-Kam Extreme video glasses. They're only like 2 or 3 megapixel I think. A GoPro is on my wish list for next season, though.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
FYI for anyone thinking about changing up to a different waterfowl load this season or next... I'm shooting 3.5" Hevi-Metal #3's. So half the shell is standard steel #3's and the other half is HeviShot #5's. I've been really happy with this load so far. It's been a great all around load... wreaks havoc on the ducks and as you can see it the video it folds geese just as well.

epe

Lancaster
FYI for anyone thinking about changing up to a different waterfowl load this season or next... I'm shooting 3.5" Hevi-Metal #3's. So half the shell is standard steel #3's and the other half is HeviShot #5's. I've been really happy with this load so far. It's been a great all around load... wreaks havoc on the ducks and as you can see it the video it folds geese just as well.

Not sure if it is the same as they used to make them, but I nailed a coyote that came in to attack my flocked goose fullbodies in a corn field. Rolled him at 40 yards with a 3 inch #2 hevi-metal...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not sure if it is the same as they used to make them, but I nailed a coyote that came in to attack my flocked goose fullbodies in a corn field. Rolled him at 40 yards with a 3 inch #2 hevi-metal...

I'm sure it probably is the same. That stuff is devastating!

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
It was a good hunt. Good news is the birds are piling into that field now. If ya notice to the far right I did some work on my birds and our other buddy Shane got a couple more to the left of Jim you couldn't see.