Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Field dressing techniques

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The butt out tool thread had me thinking all the different ways you could field dress a deer.

I carry 3 different tools with me to help me field dress. My hunting knife (buck 110 folding hunter), a gerber bone/wood saw (see picture) and a Gerber gut hook (see picture).

When I am hunting where I can get a 4wheeler in to get the deer (aka private land):
First open up the abdomen with the EZ zip, and then use the bone saw to open up the ribs all the way up and also to cut open the pelvis. I then use my folding knife to loosen everything up and cut the a-hole out and then have someone lift the deer up and everything just pulls out.

If its a large buck that may be mounted then I don't cut up as high on the ribs, or I just don't cut the ribs at all.

If I'm not able to use a 4wheeler (aka public): The same as above though I carry duct tape in my bag and then duct tape the back legs together so the meat doesn't get too much dirt and crud on it.

I've done the cut the butt out with just a knife but it never seems as clean of a job as when I cut the pelvis open.

I really like the Gerber EZ Zip b/c it uses utility/exacto knife blades so its always sharp. I also use the duct tape as my temporary tag when I landown a deer or when the internet tags don't include a temporary tag. That and a sharpie I've found work quite well.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Never thought about keeping the back legs together..... Usually have the 4-wheeler w/trailer there, but a zip-tie would be a good thing to keep handy! Thanks!
I always cut the pelvis open as I am already bloody and it's just my way of doing it.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Never thought about keeping the back legs together..... Usually have the 4-wheeler w/trailer there, but a zip-tie would be a good thing to keep handy! Thanks!
I always cut the pelvis open as I am already bloody and it's just my way of doing it.

If I'm just tossing it onto a 4wheeler then I don't duct tape the legs together. I only duct tape them when I have to drag it, otherwise I've found they just flop open and then the inside of the legs gets a nice dirt, leaf litter, briar, rock dry rub prior to processing.

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
ring out the butt, open the abdomen, cut away the diaphram, reach inside and cut the windpipe, pull down from the windpipe and throw it in a bucket. Less than 10 min and it's all ready to be hosed out and hung.

I tried the butt-out this year for kicks. The deer farted on me and then it took about 10 min just to do what they say with that part....i'm stickin with my old methods...way faster and no deer farts.:smiley_depressive:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I cut around the scrotum and work my way down to the anus. Make a slit without puncturing the intestines and insert my middle finger and index finger into the slit and make a peace sign.lol Then carefully put my knife with the sharp edge up and pull up with my two fingers as I cut the belly hide up to the sternum. I never cut into the ribs from there. Just see no need in it. Then reach in to the chest cavity and ring out the diaphram and further in a cut the windpipe. I then go back to the anus and ring it out and turn the deer in its side and drag everything out. Whalaa!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I need practice at this, but I'm doing OK. Got nothing meaningful to contribute about that, BUT>>>>

Speaking of zipties, I keep plenty in my pack. This year I filled out the paper temp tag and cut slits in the deer's ear and in the tag...zip tied the tag inside the ear, then rolled the ear up and ziptied that. No chance of it getting lost or blowing off. I thought that was pretty cool. You can see the rolled up ear in my avatar pic

Wouldn't work for a buck you wanted to take to the taxi, but you got plastic bag/ziptie/antler combo available for ya there.

Huckleberry Finn

I have the same Gerber gut hook and love it. Other than that and a butt-out tool, I really only use a small buck folding pocket knife. I've tried a few bigger knives and just don't like it, so I just use a little knife. Really looks like I killed something when I'm done!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I cut around the scrotum and work my way down to the anus. Make a slit without puncturing the intestines and insert my middle finger and index finger into the slit and make a peace sign.lol Then carefully put my knife with the sharp edge up and pull up with my two fingers as I cut the belly hide up to the sternum. I never cut into the ribs from there. Just see no need in it. Then reach in to the chest cavity and ring out the diaphram and further in a cut the windpipe. I then go back to the anus and ring it out and turn the deer in its side and drag everything out. Whalaa!

This is exactly how I do it as well.

Derek j

Knox Co.
I use my havalon knife, and that's pretty much it. If I am gutting by myself, I don't split the pelvis. If my dad is helping me, the pelvis gets split.....he has always done it and doesn't feel like the job is done correctly if it is left alone...lol. I have the butt out tool, but it has only worked correctly once for me. I ring it out and pull it through now.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I have a butt out tool, but it never fails, when i need it, it's not in my pack.

I just have my knife. Not sure what the make or model are. I start with a slit in the abdomen, just below the sternum. cutting down toward the genitals. if its a buck, the junk gets removed, if its a doe, i cut around. Down to the anus. spread open the gut cavity, reach in and cut the liver free of the spine. grab ahold of the liver and pull it out as you work your way down the spine trimming what ever is holding on. once you get to the pelvis, pull all the inards out of the way. cut the lower intestine if you have to, until you can see the bladder. cut around the butthole without hitting the bladder and the whole gut pile comes out in one package.

I do split the ribcage because I am always afraid there will be a broadhead somewhere in the chest cavity from a previous year. I cut the diaphram out and open the ribs like this.
I roll the deer on its back and stand over it with one foot on each side. bend at the knees and slip my knife under the sternum, blade up. i will place my elbows on my knees for leverage, grip the knife with both hands and and pull the knife up with a sharp jerking motion. the knife will normally pop the ribs open. sometimes you need a little more force on an older deer. Once the ribs are open and I can see what I'm grabbing at, cut the wind pipe.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
We have everything in our gut bag (fanny pack) just for doing deer. Butt out, knife and a spare, small hatchet, bottle of water, Ziploc sandwich bags, trash bag ties, couple of ink pens, 2 rags and a Ziploc with paper towels. The bottle of water sure comes in handy to clean everything up when finished.

Huckleberry Finn

My favorite part is reaching up to get the windpipe where I can't see...never know what you're gonna find!

I literally forgot to take the balls off my buck and my dad was like "uh, you're supposed to snipe those off!!!"

I really should try to be more neat about it, but when I start, I take everything off (bibs, vests, whatever) and just go for it. I dislike how tight my under armour gets when I roll it up to my elbows...but I normally get covered up to elbows and leave it. I'd waste a bottle of water on it, but then my fat, sweating ass wouldn't have any! Besides, who doesn't love that smell your hands have for at least a day after you've gutted one....love it!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort

X3 but I use the butt-out tool. That's my step #1.