Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A little test

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'd pass with a bow... or I should say I'd wait. Nothing in that image that makes me want to draw, yet. With a gun, I'd be asking for someone to hold his legs out of the way.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
My dad missed a buck of a lifetime this year at ten yards with a similar looking shot. All he regrets is not letting down and waiting for a better shot. I believe I would wait for him to step out.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Those limbs are what freak me out. I can't tell how far they are from him. If they are 5 yds closer to you than he is, your arrow is gonna get 'em.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Gun- Shoot.
Bow- I don't honestly know. I think I would have to be there in the moment. Hard to tell in a picture. Looks to me like those limbs are going to make me wait for a better shot.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I see enough of an opening under/behind that limb to tuck an arrow just behind the crease. At 35 yds however, I would NOT take that shot. There'd just be too much arc to confidently eliminate that branch as an obstacle, IMO. At 25 yds and closer I'll take that shot in a heartbeat, though.

Yup

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'd pass with a bow... or I should say I'd wait. Nothing in that image that makes me want to draw, yet. With a gun, I'd be asking for someone to hold his legs out of the way.

Lol, love it! Great line Brock!

Brock brings up a great point about how far he is from the twigs. I'd have to be already at full draw and inside 20-25 yards with my bow though but waiting for him to get his head behind that tree and drawing back then and waiting for a much clearer shot is what I'd do in this situation.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
20 and under I am taking the shot depending on the distance of limbs from the buck. 20-30 questionable and probably wouldn't. 30+ nope. The pic being so close makes it look like an easier shot than what it probably really looks like at 20 yards or more.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
20 and under I am taking the shot depending on the distance of limbs from the buck. 20-30 questionable and probably wouldn't. 30+ nope. The pic being so close makes it look like an easier shot than what it probably really looks like at 20 yards or more.

Yep... Exactly my point. At 30 yards or more, I doubt even Levi Morgan would take that shot.

Lundy

, I'd be asking for someone to hold his legs out of the way.

Would you be gutting him or having your way with him:)

An obviously alert, tense deer, 35 yards, obstruction, less than optimal angle should equal pass in my opinion every time

The alert status of the deer to me is the largest factor in the non shot decision. Even without the obstruction and the angle it is a very questionable shot at 35 yds with the alert status of the deer. He won't be standing there when the arrow or bolt gets there.

My opinion

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
A lot of good opinions on this.... most of the opinions on the fb post if you went and read any of them was a poke and a hope... they saw antlers and were shooting disregarding the obstructions all together.... add the high alert too the mix and you have a wounded buck running around with them following hoping to either get another shot or finding him dead.... I know we have a lot on here that hone their skills and could probably thread the needle but know its a long shot and would wait.... the difference between us and them I guess....

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Point of interest! I feel (JMHO) that the "most" of the answers here point to the caliber of hunter associated with TOO! Good job hunters!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I would pass in hopes of a better shot unless it was really close and I knew I could get an arrow through the obstructions. I don't mind the angle at all, just the limbs and junk.